Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow stick batteries

Old 08-04-2004, 12:30 PM
smoothyfp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow stick batteries

First off, i just need one battery pack to power the motor, RX, and servos, right? I'm just getting started in the hobby and will be getting a slowstick very soon. I would like to get a couple of good battery packs for the SS that will last fairly well (around 20 minutes at least) and aren't very expensive (15-20 per pack). I'm also interested in a GOOD smart charger where I can plug them in and forget about them, but can give them the initial slow charge for proper cycling. If the charger could be an AC i could just plug into the wall at home, that would be even better. As far as batteries go, I've been heavily looking into NiMH packs. I've considered Li-Poly, but I don't want to hassle with those, especially since they would be exposed and on my first plane, which i'm sure will get wrecked a few times. I just don't know what voltage i need to run the engine, RX, and servos combined (thats how an e-powered system works, correct?). Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Slow stick batteries

I answered most of this post in the batteries forum.

You are correct in your understanding. The main battery on the airplane powers both the receiver/servos, and the motor. This is done through a regulator circuit on the speed control called a BEC, battery eliminator circuit. For applications up to 10 cells, you will almost always use the BEC feature of the speed control to simplify things and save weight. Batteries over 10 cells have too high a voltage for the cheap BEC chips to regulate, so you normally have to disable the BEC and use a normal receiver pack or an Ultimate BEC (separate product).
Old 08-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

The Triton charge is a good all around charger. You set it for the type of battery you are charging though, and it's DC only.
You can use a regulated power supply at home. People use old computer power supplies that can be had cheap.
7 or 8 cell KAN 1050's are great nimih batteries. Nimh's don't need to be cycled like nicads do.
You can get them here: http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/maina...&cmd=&promoid=
Old 08-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 300 powered Slow Stick and want 20 minute flights, KAN 8.4V 1050 mah nimhs will do the trick. I flew with 650's before, and am loving the longer flights.

The only thing I wonder about is how much more damage a heavier pack does to a plane in a crash.

I have two park fliers. My BLT is lighter than my slowstick and I have yet to replace a prop or a propshaft on it. I have crashed the BLT, boinked the nose into the ground the same number of times as the Slow Stick, using the same batteries and similar motor and gearboxes. I think the lightness of the BLT contributes to it fairing better in a crash.

I charge my packs with a Great Planes Electifly AC Park Flyer Peak Charger. You set it (200-800mah, I think--I always use 200), plug the batteries in, and forget it. When the cycle is done, they trickle charge between 10 to 20 mah). I condition my nimh packs with the charger that came with my TX. (Size of the battery in mah x 1.4)/80 mah. 80 mah is what my Tx charger will put out for 8.4V batteries. If I've been taught correctly here, you look at your charger for the TX and see what it charges the Tx packs at. Multiply that number by 9.6 (the volts of the Tx battery) then divide that number by the voltage of your pack. That is the current that the charger will put out for your pack.

Happy shopping!