Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

1050 mah KANS on a Slow Stick: GOOD!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

1050 mah KANS on a Slow Stick: GOOD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1050 mah KANS on a Slow Stick: GOOD!

Got to try my 8.4V 1050 mah nimh packs today and got 22 minutes of flying on my 300 EPS equipped Slow Stick! Much better than the 12 minutes on my 650's. Anyone using small servos like the Hitec 55's and a small Rx, I would highly recommend getting at least one larger pack. My Stick hauled the larger pack around without any difficulty.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:12 PM
connolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1050 mah KANS on a Slow Stick: GOOD!

Can you use a battery of any voltage on the Slow Stick[sm=confused.gif] My parrents just got me a Slow Stick for my birthday. They never got the radio or anything else though so I'm trying to find out all the different things I'll need. Do you know if the Hitec Laser 4 micro is a good radio for the Slow Stick. It comes with two micro servos.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Time Pilot

Voltage? It all depends on the way you want it to fly and how long you want the motor to last.

You didn't say which motor you got with your slow stick. Depending on which one you got, will change what people would recommend.

If you have the 300, it seems that most people fly them with 8.4V and the 11 x 8 prop. If you go past that, you will get better performance from the motor, but it will burn out quicker. The motors are around $12.00 and easy to replace.

I don't own a Hitec radio, so can't comment on the brand, though a search here should bring up something. I have hitec servos, and have been happy with them so far though. I'm sure the Laser would be fine though.

I bought a Futaba Skysport, which now comes with a mini servo option, if you want. Whatever you do, if you are considering this hobby seriously, you may want to consider a little bit better radio. Something with 6 channels and the ability to mix channels. For example, this will let you build a 4 channel plane, one day, put a servo on each aileron and then you can use them for flaps (flaperons). Flaps makes the nose rise (I think I remember that right), so you program the radio to give you some down elevator when you apply flaps to make flap application simpler.

A better radio also gives you more options, like dual rates, end point adjustments, exponential rates. These are not necessary, but nice.

On the other hand, if you think you'll be content with the 4 channel transmitter for a while, you can always get a new radio a few years from now. The advantage of this is that you'll likely end up with a radio with more features for the same price.

Just curious though: are you learning by yourself or do you have someone to help you?
Old 11-04-2004, 05:31 AM
FlybyPDX
My Feedback: (2)

I have the hitec laser 4. I love it. Its a great radio..... lol.... dont tell anyone but I once left it on the top of my car and started to drive away until I heard this ****CRASH!!!*** opened my door and was like S*%T!!!! Picked it up took it home and it works fine! still does!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:57 AM
snowball1288

how much does the 1050 mAh KANS pack weigh?
Im thinking of getting this pack:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXGBM3&P=K

it weighs 5.6 oz according to towerhobbies.com
looks like a nice pack..... im drooling just thinking of 22 min flight times... hah.. im lucky to get 4 min on my skyscooter
Old 11-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Time Pilot

Each cell weights .8oz. So you're looking at around the same. I take it this is going on the Slow Stick. I wouldn't recommend that shape of a pack on the slow stick, but you can always make it fit, someway or another.

This shape would be better for that size cell
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBN0&P=K

My battery sits almost under the CG and a longer battery will get in the way of the landing gear.

And yes, the 22 minute flights are really nice!

I also noticed you had another post regarding batteries. I have the one you mentioned and the one above. They gave me the same flight times and seem to be holding out well after 6 months of flying. I easily have over 60 hours of flying on those packs (30 hours each).
Old 11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
NickG

I have pack made from two sony 1350mah lithium ion cells and you can get 20min flights on that if you take it easy... if you fly just above a stall the whole time you can get just over 30 min from it... maybe 8 if you run wide open the whole time.. but they get hot and don't really like that much load. I got them via ebay for like $12.

Nick

http://gavush.tripod.com/radiocontrol
Old 11-18-2004, 11:16 PM
drogo

I know what you mean. The first upgrade I made to my Slo-V was a 2cell 2100mah LiPo. My first flights with the stock 650mah battery were about 5 minutes or so. With the LiPo it's about 40-45 minutes. The problem now is that the motor overheats to the point that it won't run at full power. Now I need to get a heat sink for it.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:05 AM
RandyT

ORIGINAL: snowball1288

how much does the 1050 mAh KANS pack weigh?
Im thinking of getting this pack:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXGBM3&P=K

it weighs 5.6 oz according to towerhobbies.com
looks like a nice pack..... im drooling just thinking of 22 min flight times... hah.. im lucky to get 4 min on my skyscooter
I weighed one I have from Cheapbatterypacks.com and it weighs 5.9 ounces. They also sell these CBP-1050's which they say are just as good and that pack weighs 5.6 ounces. Both are relatively inexpensive, I think around 20 bucks the CBP-1050's is less expensive. Mine just sit there with probably 10 flights on them combined. Pick up a brushless and some kokam 3S 1500's, 30+ minutes flight, vertical, unlimited loops, good fun. Good luck.