Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

FireBird II

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 12:16 PM
foamer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FireBird II

NEW to RC hobby shop told me the FireBird II would be a good starter plane just got it charged up and installed the wing it makes a sound when the batteries are plugged in, kind of a cracking sound is this normal ?
Old 09-05-2004, 05:18 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: FireBird II

If the transmitter is not turned on then that sound may be the servos searching for thier commanded positions. If the transmitter is turned on then no I would say it is not normal and take it back to the hobby shop and see what they say. I used to have one of these and the servo sounded like something grinding when the tail fins were moved but that was the only sound that it made.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:21 PM
INeedHelp

I might also add this was a good trainer but it is VERY hard to go back to it once you get used to having an elevator.
Mine is still alive and kicking I gave it to a friend to get him started.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:38 PM
foamer

Thanks for the info, I will be going back to the store I had been waiting for the wind to die down before I did my first fly, its was fun goes up very easy , after retriving it from the creek bank it looked OK but I broke a control horn under side, so the rubber band has no place to attach. you can't buy just the control horn you must by the tail repair kit. So I will have them check out the noise.

Thanks again
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 PM
INeedHelp

Cool, it is very easy to fly these guys. Sorry to hear about the control horn though and you do have to get the tail repair kit. [] Very easy to fix though just remember to take a look at where the contol surfaces are located BEFORE you take it apart if you can. It will make trimming it out easier after the repairs. On mine I had to have a little up trimmed in for it to climb.

Have fun.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:22 PM
foamer

very new to this, What do you mean when you say look at the location of the control surfaces before I disassemble, what am I looking for ? any help full tips would great thanks for replying.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
INeedHelp

If you can attach the rubberband in some way check to see where the elevons are in relation to the stabilizer. When I replaced my tail assy. if I left the elevons against the lower stop the plane would not fly. I had to set a small amount of up to achieve normal flight.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:10 PM
foamer

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:27 PM
foamer

Got the control horn installed and trimmed took your advice the test flight was great its climbs a hole lot better two laps around the field and a nice grass landing. I think I'm having fun, thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:31 PM
INeedHelp

Glad I could help, enjoy the Firebird.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:25 AM
area51south

The firebird commander is a good starter as well, I have tried quite a few and it seems to be the best out of the entry level hobbyzone models.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:09 AM
foamer

OK I crashed it hard the tube holding the tail on can twist clockwise/counter clockwise, I am think glue and maybe a pin through the plastic but how do align the thing up ?
Old 09-26-2004, 03:25 PM
INeedHelp

When that happened to me I just eye balled it the best I could. I lined it up so the tips of the elevator are even with the wing, then backed up while it was on a table to be sure. To top it off I then put a small screw on to hold it in place and it held up until the plane was retired afte that.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:20 PM
foamer

remember the first post, noise in the firebird II well I know what it was the servo was three stating back and forth just to small to see in the control lines but today after my best landing ever the transmitter makes this load beep Its support mean low batties in the transmitter while I change the batteries and started my pre flight checks and the elevators do not work, nothing ! start to check it out and the servo does not move. so I am grounded till payday. new fuselage to fix a servo not happy with that thinking about a tiger moth and radio setup instead is its possible or easy to move from a firebird II to a tiger moth slow flier. opinions please
Old 09-26-2004, 11:09 PM
INeedHelp

Yes, the Pico Tiger Moth should be an easy transition from the Firebird. Check around and you may be able to find a package deal for the beginner. And if not the www.allerc.com should have everything you would need. for the Pico Moth.

Sorry to hear about your Firebird.[]

Also, I don't see it on there site but if you want a Slow Stick I have seen in their store a kit for $250 I think. It comes with everything to get the Stick in the air and 2 batteries. There is an 800 number on the site here at www.monsoonrc.com
I could be off a bit on the price but I think that is what it is.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:23 PM
WolfeWind

You should have no trouble with the Pico Moth. It s a much better flyer than the Firebird IIST. More info on that plane and others that might be appropriate over at this forum......

The GWS J-3 Cub would also be a good next plane and so would the GWS Beaver. They are slightly easier builds than the Moth, if that is a consideration.

http://www.novellahub.com/
Old 10-09-2004, 08:49 PM
A.T.A.C.

I suggest you call the HobbyZone customer service first. They are very helpful and professional. I had a FB Commander that started to act funny after six month's of flying and crashing. The motor would stutter while turning right. HBZ replaced the WHOLE KIT! They did not even ask for a receipt!

If you are planning to go with a GWS ARF, I suggest going with the SlowStick. Building the TigerMoth and Beaver is relatively easy, but it is still quite an undertaking. If the model doesn't fly, it will be difficult for the inexperienced builder/flyer to pinpoint the problem, if there is a building error or the flying technique causing the problem. I learned how to fly a 3 channel plane on an Aerobird, before moving to ARFs.

I hope this helps,

Good luck!

Atac
Old 10-10-2004, 07:55 AM
foamer

Tiger up and away yesturday build was easy and maiden fly was not the best, its still ok nosed it in after the landing ( thank you prop saver ) guess I need to post my Tiger moth on a other thread firebird II is out for now, up with the TM!!