Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Cheap micro R/C equipment?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Cheap micro R/C equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap micro R/C equipment?

I have been a long time fan of R/C hobbies... I had a glow powered glider that I crashed and burned on my 6th flight a few years ago and haven't had the time, interest and resources to get back into it... I happened to be driving past a school soccer field and noticed an R/C plane flying there... when I stopped and asked about it... I was introduced to the world of electric foam park flyers...I have since built a 30" Ultimate Bipe... my question is this... is there any ways that I can put a motor battery charger and radio equipment into this plane without spending $200 or more? I understand technology is expensive... but even the Ebay and other auction sites are just as expensive as new... and I would really like to be able to FLY this thing... and not just look at it hanging on my wall. any suggestions would be appreciated... I do have a Futaba transmitter salvaged from the old plane that I can still use
Old 09-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Cheap micro R/C equipment?

Is this plane a 3D foamy?
You could use a GWS 370 motor, GWS gearbxo, GWS prop, GWS reciever, GWS esc, GWS battery pack.
About the cheapest you could do it.
Won't fly like the brushless/lipo setups, but will fly and fly good if the all up weight is under 16 oz.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

yes it is a 3d foamy... and I am planning on using it to train on... I know... not really the best trainer... but I am practicing on a sim... and I do have some limited experience... and heck... if I break it I can build another one for $5... I was just surprised at the expense of getting gear to fly something this size... I will look into a GWS setup I appreciate the advice... may I ask what you fly?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Foamaholic

For 3D I fly the Foamy Factory 3DX and the Ultimate. They are so much fun. To get the most from them brushless and 3 cell lipos is the way to go, but not necessary, maybe even better with the cheaper setup for learning.
I say if you have one go ahead and learn on it. Fly it slow, they like to fly slow anyway.
If you've bee practicing on a simulator that wil greatly speed the learning process.
Like you said they are cheap and really pretty tough. They can take some big hits and you can just pick it up and throw it again. When you fly it get it trimmed, even if you have to land, trim then fly again. A well trimmed plane will fly great, out of trim difficult to almost impossible. If you can, try trimming on the simulator.
If you have any more questions let me know, I'd love to help if I can.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:58 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

one of the biggest things that drew me to the foamy was the slow flight characteristics... and the fact that for the most part... I can keep it right in front of me... which will make my job a little easier in the learning department... I'm down here in FL and we've just been getting hit with so many storms lately that I don't know when I'll ever be able to fly... hopefully by Christmas sometime I have found a 350 motor and gearbox on Ebay that I am currently bidding on... so that will help me recoup some costs... and I would love to get a lipoly batter and brushless motor... everywhere I look people are singing their praises... I will prolly make those a priority on plane #2... I even read one review where 20-30 minute flight times were possible on one charge... that's pretty amazing.. I think if I'm careful and really hunt for some bargains I may be able to get it in the air without spending a king's ransom... anyways... thanx for the input
Old 09-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Foamaholic

Yes, 20-25 minute flights are routine with a 3s 1200 lipo. You don't fly full throttle much with these planes, just a quick shot straight up for fun once in a while. The acceleration is amazing.
Good luck dealing with the bad weather down there. Bummer. Don't want to fly these planes in a lot of wind. Just isn't fun, hard to control. You'll want to let the storms blow by first.