Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Best way to find CG?

Old 10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
AudiMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to find CG?

I am at the point of mounting my Battery and speed control on my Ultrafly 182. How can I find the CG on it? What household items will I need (I would rather not buy a tool for this) Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:45 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Best way to find CG?

The book tells you where its at, just measure that far back on the wing put some marks with a sharpie or something and balance it with 2 pencils, your finger tips, whatever.

On my cessna it didnt really need any balancing, I just put the stuff in and it was balanced just right. When using the stock battery theres really not alot of balancing you can do as the battery can only move an inch or so either direction.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:04 PM
AudiMaxx

The lipoly pack I am using is considerably smaller than a stock pack...so I need to know where to put the battery...without going too far back or forward. Thanks for the help
Old 10-12-2004, 10:55 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Hope you have many good flights, Ive been getting better with mine and can now fly it in smaller places (IE the vacant lot next door).

The only problem is getting it turned around, in feild thats a few acreas (thats how big the field I normally fly in is) its no problem but in the 150x100' foot lot next door its quite a close call. You cant do much more than flying the plane from one end to the other in a lot that small but on days that I cant go to the big feild its plenty fun.

Tommorow night I think im going to practice landing it, so far ive just been hand launching and belly landing but my cowl is gotten pretty messed up (ive got 2 extra though) and the bottom of the fuse it getting all stained up from the grass so Im going to try some rolling takeoffs and real landings.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: AudiMaxx

The lipoly pack I am using is considerably smaller than a stock pack...so I need to know where to put the battery...without going too far back or forward. Thanks for the help
???

You can only figure out where to put the battery by trying. Put it somewhere in the plane, and try to balance it.

There are two extremely simple techniques I use to get a general idea of where the pack will end up:
1. Balance the plane without the pack. Depending on which way it tips, and how much or how violently it tips, you can make a pretty good guess as to where the pack needs to go. For example, if the plane tips toward the tail slightly when you try to balance it, you know the battery needs to go slightly ahead of the CG. If the tail won't even come off the table when you try to balance it, you know the pack needs to go way ahead of the CG.
2. Lay/tape the pack on the outside of the plane, then try to balance. If you need to hog out foam, or make special modifications to the plane, and don't want to do it more than once, you can use this technique to find the EXACT location of the pack. We're talking about fore/aft balance here. The battery being on the outside vs. the inside only effects side-to-side and belly-to-back balance.