Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

wiring two motors in series

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

wiring two motors in series

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Roger Q.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring two motors in series

I wonder if someone would show me a wiring of two packs of 8 cells (series), with a charge plug, on/off switch, speed control, and two (2) electric motors. I think I know how to do this, but..... Thanks from a long time wet powered modeler who is making the switch. RWW
Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: wiring two motors in series

Okay, you need to clarify what you're after in this situation...

You want to wire both motors in series and both batteries in series? What motors, what batteries, and what speed control?

Generally, parallel is the preferred option. Two 8-cell packs in series means you have to have a speed control capable of handling 16 cells. Compared to even a super-heavy-duty 8-10 cell speed control, a 16-cell version is signifigantly more expensive.

Depending on what motors you have, they may not like the voltage from 16 cells even when wired in series. Cheap can motors don't last long, for example.

However, in a nutshell, series is + to -, + to -. Connect the two motors + to -, then connect + from the ESC to the + on one motor, and the - from the ESC to the - on the other motor. Same goes for the battery.

Don't bother with a charge jack or on-off switch. Just unplug the battery and remove it from the airplane. It's safer, and allows you to have multiple packs in the future. Hard-wiring a single battery pack into a plane is a royal PITA.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Roger Q.

Matt: I thought I had written a note in reply to your very clear and concise response to my question. but somewhere it got lost.
So....I am going to put 2 cobalt geared astro 25's in Top Flight's DC-3 with 16 3300 NMH batteries, as per conversation with Kirk Massey of New Creations RC. Also have talked this over with Bob Boucher of Astro, and both feel this is a good combo for the motors, batteries and plane.
I have been getting a variety of answers to the question of going to series or parallel, so thought I would pose the question as to how to wire in series, and perhaps someone would venture the answer to my second question of which is best
I do think I will put a switch in the circuit just for safety sake. You are correct about charging outside the plane: I have had batteries get rather hot in charge, so....
Thanks ever so much, and many safe, smooth and happy landings. Roger
Old 10-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Roger Q.

Matt: one further reply to your questions: I have both a 60 amp Astro Controller and a 45 am controller: both of which both Boucher and Massey think will work, but they both recommend the 60 am controller. So, I will go with that. And, I want to know about parallel in the batteries and then series from there to motors, or vice-versa. Any advice??? thanks Roger