Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Just when I thought everything was OK!!!

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Just when I thought everything was OK!!!

Old 10-16-2004, 10:25 AM
AudiMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just when I thought everything was OK!!!

I got my servos mounted in my Ultrafly Cessna 182, charged up the Lipo and was ready to take it to the park. I mounted the wing for the first time just to ensure it was lined up properly....wing went on without a problem. Went to take the wing off and the screw got hung. I applied a bit more pressure and heard a pop! Apparently the CA'd nut inside the mount came loose. Problem is that the nut was inserted in STEP 2 of the build process before the 2 halfs of the fuselage were joined! What method can I use now to mount the wing........
Old 10-16-2004, 02:53 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Just when I thought everything was OK!!!

You could try rubber banding it on.

I noticed on my cessna their is 2 holes in the fuse (on is covered by the windsheild sticker) that you can put dowels sticks in and use to rubber band your wing on.

I thought about doing it but the problem is if you wreck the plane the rubber bands will dig way down into the wing and eventually just cut your wing in half. You can use a sheet of plastic or somehting to prevent this but I couldnt find anything that looked suitable.

OR you could try to reglue the nut on. I would take an excacto knife, go form inside the fuse towards teh back of the plane and poke around till I found the edge of the plastic peice that holds the nut, then cut around it and pull it out. Fix the nut and try to glue it all back in.

Last time I wrecked my plane it pulled the whole plastic peice out of the foam, I figured it was the end out of it since thats all that holds the wing on but I glued it back in and have flown it a few times since with no problems.

Let me know how you fix it, also let me know how yours flies with the lipo pack, I might put one in mine.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:10 PM
crashingagain

Use dowels and rubberbands as jak said, it makes the landings more forgiving. To keep the bands from cutting into the wing just apply a few layers of packing tape where the rubber will contact the foam
Old 10-16-2004, 06:29 PM
jakjr

Good idea with the packaging tape, I had thought about plexiglass but I couldnt find any thin enough to keep the weight to a minimum.

You could also try the fiber reinforced packaging tape, get some the 2" wide stuff and layer it. You could also coat the tape with a thin layer of epoxy for even more protection.

Sadly, I think my cessna might not fly anymore. Yesterday I flew it in my backyard and everytime I launched it the thing just nosed in. I thought maybe it was just the battery because It was quite low so I charged it and tried it again today. Did the same thing, just noses in.

Its balanced just right so thats deffinately not the problem.

I think after the firewall and fuse being repaired so many times the thrust angle might be off, it looks dead on to me I even used a square and checked the gearbox mounting stick and it looks perfect, but one time I crashed the front of the fuse broke off about 1/2" behind the firewall and when I glued it back on I might have not got it perfect, again it looks dead on to me but its hard to tell.

Maybe its just the wind? both yesterday and today I was launching with the wind at my back rather than into the wind (due to the wind direction and shape of my yard) I wonder if thats the problem?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:08 PM
AudiMaxx

OK....fixed it. I used a piece of wood block. Cut out the foam and epoxied the wood block in (light balsa). I then drilled and tapped the wood and placed 2 plastic wing fasteners from the Hobby Shop. Worked like a charm and is definately more secure than the original method. Now...I went to fly and disaster. It flew for all of 2 minutes when I got nervous and nosed in...broke the stick holding the motor on. How do I remove that stick....its epoxied in! That will be tomorrows project. I also will find a larger field to fly in.......thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:48 PM
jakjr

Same thing happened to me.... about 3 or 4 times LOL [&:]

The first time it happened to me the firewall also broke in half so I just took off the whole firewall because I had to make a new one anyways.

The second time it happened I took a drill and about 1/4" drill bit (I think it was smaller than that but I cant remebr excatly what I used 3/16" maybe?) and drilled out the center of the stick, both the peice that broke off and the peice still on the plane. Then I took a dowel stick the same size as the whole I drilled and epoxied the dowel all the way through the stick. The dowel is what holds the two peices of the stick together. That lasted for about 3 more crashes.

Then it broke again in the same place. This time I did the same thing, removed the dowel and put in another, However I made soem braces for the stick, I took a small sheet of 1/8 thick plywood and cut all four corners off (you should have 4 small triangles about 1 inch across) then I glued them on each side of the stick to support it. That lasted for a crash or two and the stick broke again.

This time I completely removed the stick. I just took a dremel and a small drill bit (like 1/64") and drilled all around the stick. It finally came out after about an hour of whiddling at it.

I couldnt find any replacement sticks so I made one, I just took 4 popsicle sticks and layered them like plywood, I epoxied them together and coated the edges with CA. This part is going to be hard to explain so refer to my pictures. I first cut out a small rectangular peice of plywood, then I made a square hole in it for the stick to go through. I then glued my home-made stick into the platform along with my 4 little traingular braces to get it perfectly square. I then took took the platform and screwed it to the firewall using four 3/4" stainless steel screws, the homeade stick should extend about 3/4" out the back of the platform so it goes into the hole in firewall. If you break teh stick youi just screw the 4 screws and glue a new one onto the platform, its a lot easier than trying to drill the stick of the fusealage

Heres the pictures sorry the quality is so bad, my parents have the digital camera so I had to use my cell phone, if you look closely you can see 2 of my guitars in one of them [8D] IO couldnt resist with the smiley, seemed like a good ocassion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18377.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	183434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74100.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	183435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68203.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	183436  
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2004, 08:34 PM
AudiMaxx

Wow...you are creative! In the instruction manual it states the wooden block is 10x10x100. I assume that is in mm. what would that equate to in inches? I am going to go to the hobbyshop tomorrow and see if I can find a replacment.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:00 PM
jakjr

.39"x.39"x3.9"

If you can find it get a peice that is 2/5"x2/5". Spruce, maple, oak, or some other hardwood will work good, just dont get balsa. Itll probobly come in a 3 foot long peice, which is good because the stick breaks pretty easily without any bracing.

You probobly wont be able to find a replacement unless its made by GWS, and im not shure how long they make their sticks so its probobly better (and cheaper) to just get a long peice of wood and make them yourself.

If you cant find anything just do like I did and laminate some popsicle sticks, mine hasnt broke yet so I guess it worked pretty good.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 PM
AudiMaxx

Can someone measure the length from the firewall to the end of the engine mount for me? I picked up a piece of maple and need to cut it. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:20 PM
jakjr

Your in luck,Iive got my cessna tore apart right now so I can easily measure it.

Mine comes out 2 1/4"s but when I made my new stick I left it a litlle long so the prop shaft stuck out farther so youll want to make yours about 2 1/8"s.

My cowl has gotten so messed up you might need to make your stick a little longer or shorter than mine so start out at a little over 2 and 1/4"s and cut it down from their, its easier to take some off than it is to put back on!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
AudiMaxx

Thanks for the measurments.....hope to have it done this week so I can attempt flight again this upcoming weekend....and by the way....

GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:17 PM
jakjr

LOL, you should come watch the game with my dad.