Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Going Electric ??????

Old 01-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Talon56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Electric ??????

I am new to RC planes although I had a Sig Kadet Senior 80% built for eight years, afraid to finish it, then I'd crash it after all that work! Well I decided to get a Areobird Challenger about a month ago. I know it's not like a real trainer, but figured I could get some time in and move up.

My question is on glow vs. electric I'd really like to fly electric, I know that if done correctly the electrics can do as well, maybe better than the nitro. I started doing some research here on the forums, and on other sites. Again being a beginner, I might be putting things together incorrectly, but when it comes to electrifying the bigger planes like my Kadet it looks like to get good performance it takes $$$$$ over glow. I was looking into converting my Kadet to electric and wanted it to fly as well as with the .40 or better. I started looking up the pieces I thought might get me there, I think it would cost me $200-$300 more not including a good charger. Below is a list of that I thought would be close to what I needed. Take a look and let me know what you think, and let me know if there's a better way to go and still get performance for less $$$. I also live at 5000' not sure about props!!!

Motor
AXI 4120/18

Jeti/Hacker 40-3P BEC ESC

Thunder Power 3200 mAh, 3 cells (11.1V)

Prop
13/6.5 APC

Again, I'm new, not sure what I'm doing, that's why I'm putting this out to you guys, I've seen some great stuff in these forums, let me know, thanks!

[]
Old 01-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Going Electric ??????

Other than you've only got about half enough voltage to run that 4120/18, you did pretty well in your first time out. That motor/prop combo would be much better suited to a 5S Lipoly pack. With the 3S, you're not going to get enough Watts out of the motor to do anything useful.

With high elevations, you'll need to upsize your prop. Unlike an internal combustion engine which suffers a double-hit due to the thin air, an electric motor only suffers a loss of "traction" at the prop. Because the motor's power does not depend on oxygen, it's all still there. A larger propeller is necessary to get a better bite on the thin air. How much? It takes some experimentation. Luckily the props are only $3-$4 each.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Talon56

Thanks, I'm not up to speed on the batteries yet, but when adding this stuff up, and if I go for a higher rated battery the cost is so much more than a glow setup! So what your saying is to get this plane to perform on electrics I'm going to pay big bucks over what a glow will cost? I think the finished weight will be around 7.5 lbs, so I'll need at least 500w to get it off the ground, correct?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
RoyM

I would like to convert my Great Planes Fokker DR1 to electric. Not much information on their Web site. The plane weighs 8.5 lbs and has a wing loading of 14.3 oz per square. Total wing area is 1367 sq inches. I have some experience with glow engine planes but no electric experience. What motor/gear box, ESC battery would you recommend? I would like to stick with Nicad or Nmh. I would also put in a second flight pack battery. Thanks for you help.
royM
Old 02-26-2005, 11:50 PM
ryanpilot
My Feedback: (4)

I am new to the electric game also and trying to find a useful set up for a couple planes. One thing I know for sure when paying $15.00 or more a gallon for glow fuel it does not take long to pay for those batteries, not to mention the increased reliability factor.