Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

A great day in the sky!

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

A great day in the sky!

Old 05-02-2005, 06:29 PM
icwtumn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A great day in the sky!

I took my AB Challenger out for another flight today. What a great plane! I love this thing. I am a new flyer, just started two weeks ago. I have spent a fair amount of time training on FMS, lurked around many RC forums and picked up a lot of tips. My first flights were awesome, and involved no crashes, not even a near miss. I experienced similar results today! The winds have been blowing like mad for the last couple weeks, and today was my first decent opportunity to put in some flight time since the maiden voyage. I managed to get about 15 minutes of flight time out of each of the two 7.2V 900mAh packs I have, running about 50% throttle most of the time. I am beginning to learn how the winds play with this plane in the air. It did get downwind from me once, at a most inopportune time - just as the first pack was shedding its last bit of energy. I crept back against the wind and landed the plane just as it reached the edge of the grass field I was flying from. Phew!

The only other "mishap" I had was a turn made a litttle too sharply as I was traveling close to the ground at relatively low speed. (I know, it sounds foolish as I type it now) The plane sunk and bit into the grass lightly, but no damage to report. I was back in the air 60 seconds later.

The wind is definately a force to be reckoned with when flying this plane, especially with no experience. I did switch over to Pro-Mode for the first time after two or three short flights. There is a noticable difference in handling and performance, especially in breezes. I need to get some more stick time under my belt before trying too many tricks, but I am having a blast with this plane so far.

Pro-Mode helps control the plane in heavier breezes and I expect to be flying that way a lot from now on. Sport mode is great for getting your feet wet, as the controls are soft and forgiving. When fighting winds, however, pro-mode is the way to go.

I can't wait to get some extra battery packs so I can get on a flying and charging schedule and spend more time in the field. With only two packs, charging times exceed flight times considerably and requires a lot of waiting around. More packs will allow me to spend as long as I want just goofing off, I can't wait!

Hope you are all having as much fun as I am!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:49 PM
biker_ray_pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A great day in the sky!

I was out today too, with the same plane, and with the same feeling. The ABC is a great plane to learn on. I have a blast with it every time I fly it, so I know how you feel.

You're right, the plane does handle a lot better in Pro mode. In fact, I think it is easier to learn on in Pro mode than in Sport mode. In Sport mode, I have a hard time getting the plane to do what I want it to do. It's almost as if it "helps" too much, and becomes a hindrance. And yes, the wind is definitely a factor with these planes, as the 200 pounds of tape on my wing can attest (I learned hard and early....wait for less wind [sm=eek.gif]

After you have a few more flights on the ABC, you should thing about getting a Magpie from Mountain Models. I bought the kit with both wings. I was sort of scared when I tried the sport wing, because all I had really flown very well with was the ABC, but the Magpie made moving to four channels a breeze. I will sing that plane's praises whenever I can.

Ray out