Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

BATTERY USE ON 7/14 Simprop Motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

BATTERY USE ON 7/14 Simprop Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 03:16 AM
Terryone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BATTERY USE ON 7/14 Simprop Motor

I am getting ready to fit a Simprop 7/14 motor with a 3 /1 gearbox, using
two 7 cell . 8.4v 2300 cells, I had a trial run yesterday and I noticed a fair amount of sparks coming from the motor armature, it was drawing 30 amps.
Am I expecting to much to use 14 cells on this set up or would I be better to use two 7.2v 12 cells.
i haven't tried the set up on two 6 cell batteries yet, but I just thought it might be better treatment for the motor?
I'm using a 12 x 10 Prop.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BATTERY USE ON 7/14 Simprop Motor

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Simprop 7/14 motor. It's probably marketed in the US under another name. Whether 14 cells is pushing it too hard or not is tough to say, but I would guess that it probably is. For the most part, the brushed motors we have available in the USA have practical limits of 10 cells. 12 or more cells seriously shortens their lifespan.

If the motor's new, that would explain the sparks. The brushes are flat, while the commutator is round. This mismatch of shapes is where the sparks are coming from. Ideally, you want the brushes to be rounded as well to make the maximum contact with the commutator, which means low-voltage breakin.

Run the motor on a pair of flashlight alkaline cells for at least 15 minutes. If the brushes are removeable, you can stop from time to time and check the progress. Keep running the motor until the brushes show that they're making fairly good contact with the commutator. You don't have to wait until the brushes are completely rounded out, just until they're making decent contact.