Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

First Flight will be Tonight with SLO V .. Tips Needed

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

First Flight will be Tonight with SLO V .. Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 AM
nitrojunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight will be Tonight with SLO V .. Tips Needed

Hey guys, Newbie here and tonight will be the first time I will be flying a RC plane. As stated in the Subject, I will be trying to fly a Park ZOne Slo V.

What tips do you guys have for a newbie.. ? Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: First Flight will be Tonight wityh SLO V .. Tips Needed

First and most important: The elevator is not the magic up stick. Airplanes need forward speed and power to fly. A common mistake that newbies make is to yank full back on the elevator to make the plane go up. It generally has the opposite effect, slowing the plane down and making it sink, stall, and/or crash. Magic up stick only works on a plane with enough power to haul itself straight up, and the SloV doesn't have that.

Take a buddy to launch the plane, and have him "run-launch" instead of "spear-chuck." Running with the plane the first time or two allows the launcher to feel if the plane wants to fly, and abort if it doesn't. Launch straight ahead, not up.

Go with lots of open area, and absolutely no wind.

The plane probably won't fly perfectly straight the first time out. It will need to be trimmed. If you can, get someone with experience to fly it first and get it straightened out. You will have a far greater chance of success if you don't have to fight an out of trim plane with reflexes you haven't developed yet. If you have to trim on your own, get the plane flying straight ahead before you even attempt a turn. Just do short hops; launch, do your best to keep the plane flying straight ahead, and observe what it tries to do. Land, then make corrections by adjusting the V-tail tabs or the trim sliders on the transmitter.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
nitrojunk

Default RE: First Flight will be Tonight wityh SLO V .. Tips Needed

THanks allot, I will give that a try
Old 06-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Flight will be Tonight with SLO V .. Tips Needed

I concur with no wind. And don't rely on the back of your neck to tell you if it's windy. Look at the movement of leaves, flags or anything light enough to be easily moved by the wind.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:51 PM
USABaja5B

My advise is the same. Gain speed by going level as long as you can, then slowly add up stick. Its really hard the first few times to hold it level.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:34 AM
highpines

It's been 2 day's dude! Is the plane in one piece? I seriously doubt it cause you ain't been back! Welcome to the world of Epoxy...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 AM
nitrojunk

Well guys let me tell you it was GREAT.. I did allot of reading and had no-one to teach me or anything.. My brother tried flying his SLOW V friday with no success. He crashed it 8 times..LOL after seeing that I was sooooo nervouse to fly mine.

Well saterday afternoon I got the chance.. NO wind 2 batteries charged. I realized my brother would hold the stick to the left when trying to turn and it would crash, he would also hold the stick down to climb and it would stall... So i said to myself, What if I just TAP the stick a few times. Like that i dont turn too much and if its not enough I just tap again..

So off i go.. Full throttle on the ground tap the stick down twice and off she goes.. I was amazed. Once in the air I decided to turn and and tapped 3 times to the right and then tapped 2 times down. I continued with the tapping and flew the entire pack and even landed. Although the plane did flip over onto the perpeller once it landed.. NO DAMAGE. I even had my brother flying my plane with me telling him how to tap... Anyway this was great. My wife thinks im SIlly for being so excited about flying.. Cant wait to go again and thanks everyone for your help ...
Old 06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
COBI

I just bought a SLO V and I took it in the back yard just to see what it would do. I quickly realized that I am going to need a lot more room to fly this thing.
I crashed a few times,but with no serious damage to the plane. I am now looking for a field to fly it in. I never realized how hard it would be to locate a place just to fly in.
I guess I will just have to ask some land owners with large enough fields to let me use them.