Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

a few novice questions.

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

a few novice questions.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Mr. Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few novice questions.

Hello all, novice here, I have two planes, the parkflyers cessna 182 in 3 channel and 4 channel. i can fly the 3 channel just fine, but i am weary of testing the ailerons on the four channel, i i dont use the ailerons, will the plane still fly as a 3 channel would?(presuming i just use the throttle on the left stick and no left right movement) also ive heard of unplugging the aileron control from the reciever, and plugging it in somewhere else to fly it as a 3 channel. (my 3 channel needs a new reciever is why im asking) where else would i plug it in? thanks for your knowledge everyone. -Mr. Nance
/
Old 03-09-2006, 03:06 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: a few novice questions.

People usually put ailerons/elevator on the right stick and rudder/throttle on the left, when the plane has ailerons. The idea is that the primary controls that you need for turning are on the right stick.

I started on a (high wing) plane that had ailerons and no rudder and found it easy to fly.

Are the wings on your 3 and 4 channel planes identical, like the same amount of dihedral (tips higher than the middle)? A plane with a "flat" wing is more sensitive in the roll axis than one with lots of dihedral.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:11 AM
AJ1202

Also the main issue with the flat wing is you can't turn it with the rudder because the plane wants to stay level and not bank. most likely the 4 channel plane has far less dehidrial than the 3 channel
Mr. Nance, ailerons are not that hard to learn to use, it is very simular to rudder steering, you will find it much smother and requires less travel to get the same result, I was worried about trying to fly ailerons but found it was actually easier because the plane turns smoother and doesn't twitch around during the turns, you do have to be carefull not to over steer so you don't create a spiral dive but if you just make nice gentle turns you can adjust to them in just a few minutes, especially if you can already control the rudder comfortably.
The part about hooking ailerons up somewhere else to fly it as a 3 channel is mearly connecting it to the rudder control, this allows you to use the ailerons instead of the rudder and still be 3 channel, if you choose to do this you need to secure your rudder so it won't move
However in your case I would not suggest doing that because it would not benifit you, that is for someone that only has 3 channel capabilities in their radio and or RX
All of my planes with ailerons are set up this way, Hope this helps
Old 03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Leo L

I'm just putting together my 4-channel Art-Tech Cessna (same plane the ParkFlyers sells) and I noticed that the wing has almost no dihedral. You won't be able to fly this plane without using the ailerons. I bought this plane last May, when I was just learning to fly with a 2-channel Firebird. I realized that it was too advanced for me at that time, so I set it aside. I've been flying 3-channel planes since last summer, and now I feel that I am finally ready to try 4-channel. A little nervous but excited too. I never could figure out how to do rolls with a 3-channel plane, so I am looking forward to trying them with the Cessna.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Mr. Nance

thanks everyone!
-mr. nance