Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

What next after the Firebird Freedom?

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

What next after the Firebird Freedom?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
warhawk40e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next after the Firebird Freedom?

I have been flying my Firebird for about 2 months now. I love this airplane because I have made just about every mistake a newbie can make. Fortunatly with a little packing tape I was able to learn from those mistakes so that now flying this plane is a breeze for me now and presents no challange at all (except maybe on a windy day ).

I want to move onto the next step but want to step into something I can fly and keep learning on. What would you reccommend?

Another question is that my incredibly awesome wife saw how much I loved flying the Firebird Freedom and went out and bought me the Parkzone Focke Wolf. I am anxious to put this plane up but dont want my first flight with that plane to be my last. Since I feel I have mastered the Firebird will flying the FW-190 be a logical step up? If no, what would you reccomend I learn on so I step up to fly my FW-190.

The guy at the Hobby store swore up and down that I would have no problem flying the Fw-190 but I am always suspicious that he may have just wanted to make the sale and tell me what I wanted to hear. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
AJ1202

Default RE: What next after the Firebird Freedom?

Warhawk, if you read some of the other threads hear with basicaly the same question I think you will find the general consensus is that is a big step from the firebird, it sounds like you have the right idea in not wanting to destroy it right away. the problem is there are not a lot of RTF that are good to grow with that is in the intermediate stage, most of the good planes are ARF's
if you have the funds and or time to make the right step there are many good planes that are a good 2nd plane, the GWS formosa is IMO a very good plane to prep you for a warbird because it is a low wing, it can be made very fast yet can slow down to give you a chance to learn. Like it has been said with warbirds every reaction has to be in front of where your flying and if you have to think about it. it's too late. I have heard by many however that the E-Flight P-47 is a very forgiving and nice flyer, it is a RTF and is said can slow down very nice for landing and does not have near the stall habbits of most warbirds, just my 2 cents worth
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Fliprob17

You might regret jumping right into the Focke Wulf. The E-Flite P-47 is a great plane, and it is an ARF not a RTF, they do have a PNP version though http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL6000. It may be a bit of a jump as well thoug, coming from a non-aileron plane. You may want to look at the E-Flite Cessna 182 instead http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2200. It will be a little less of a learning curve with the top-wing design, vs. the low wing of the P-47
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM
flyingace451

I went from an Aerobird Challenger to a Stryker...but I made sure I could fly the ABC perfectly before making that step.

Ask yourself these questions:
-Can you maintain comfortable and complete control of the Freedom when it's at its max amount of control surface movement?
-Can you do any maneuver imaginable with the Freedom? Loops, touch and goes, chandelles, and others that you can dream up?
-Can you fly out an entire battery pack and stick a safe landing under complete control?
-Are you willing to be something other than the F190 so that you don't destroy it?

If you answered yes, then a plane like the Stryker would be an ok plane to step up with. I was a little shaky with my Stryker maiden, but that was only because I had the throw set for too high...with the maiden of any Stryker you want the throw to be as low as possible. Now, I fly my Stryker all of the time and on MAX throw, and have pretty much pushed it to the limits with only one crash.

You can also give a decent simulator a try. They may be $200, but you'll thank yourself for getting it in the future. I fly basic 3D now, with no simulator or instructor experience. I was self taught from square one, starting with a couple Firebird Scouts, then an ABC, then a Stryker, and now various foamies.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:09 PM
warhawk40e

I want to thank you all for your advice. I always hope for the day when money is not an issue. With that said I spent $180 or so for the FW-190 and would rather spend my time flying it instead or repairing it or wishing I had not really made that jump yet and most of all regreting that my $180 plane is now in pieces. I will look into the GWS Formosa and the P-47 e-flight plane. If anyone else has any other suggestions I will be more than happy to entertain them and let you know how I have done.

I dont know if this will make any difference but I used to fly glo planes about 10 years ago but packed them away when my family started to grow. So I do have experience with trainers that are aileron planes but of course the wings were fixed above. I am just rusty and started with the FF because I could learn again on my own and when I had time. Again, I am very very ready to move onto the next plane as my FF is just too slow and there is nothing else I can really do with it. I have done many touch and go's and they are very easy for me now but the FF glides awesome. I dont need much if any power to bring it in. I can do loops just fine and play with stalls but outside that the FF is not very aerobatic. And I fly till the battery runs out every time. I can deadstick it just fine but as you know that plane glides great and on a deadstick I can put it where I want it as long as it is high enough up to bring it in.

Thanks again and any more advise will be welcome.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Leo L

Check out the Hangar9 P-51. The manufacturer claims that its the easiest of the Warbirds to fly.