Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Do I need an ESC? (Electric Newbie)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Do I need an ESC? (Electric Newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:20 AM
vtsigns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need an ESC? (Electric Newbie)

New to the Site, and certainly new to Electric RC flight stuff. I have a homebuilt, all foam constructed plane (pusher) - using a Speed 400 motor - Futaba 2 channel Radio / receiver (aileron and elevator). I don't have the ability for throttle control with this set-up, so can I get away without the ESC and just run the motor full-tilt until it dies, or will this smoke my receiver / servo set-up?

Shane
Old 12-03-2006, 02:29 PM
scoooper

Default RE: Do I need an ESC? (Electric Newbie)

Thats a set-up for a sailboat RC, but what the heck! go on an run her up, I fly about full power a lot with no harm done, just keep in mind your deal'in with a "moter gone wild" and she lands or crashs without the ablity to shut her down is when moter damage is like'ly to happen, put a BIG switch on her so you won't get nicked dumb-thumb'in for the tiny on-off switch, have at it an I hope you have a ball!! your bub, scoooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58519.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	571097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66220.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	571098  
Old 12-03-2006, 02:47 PM
intimidator_md

no, but be aware of the consequences. Always having a prop spin at high rpm and not having any control can result in severe injury. Also, if you get into trouble flying you have no way of throttle management which can lead to a crash. It is in your best interest to get an ESC for your plane. For safety reasons. They are fairly cheap anywhere from $15-$35 depending on what you get. So it won't hurt to make the investment now. Good luck.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2378922/tm.htm
I know this isn't the result of not having an ESC (it was a nitro engine) but this is what could happen if you hit a spinning prop.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:24 PM
scoooper

Intemadator MD He's only got a two ch, tran's-reciever, Wo'nt he in that case get a 3-4 ch+ reciever+ESC, ? May a sailboat for the rest of his stuff? you make a good case for safety, your bub, scoooper
Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM
vtsigns

Thanks for the advice. I'll wear a helmet and flak jacket! I guess I'll invest in a four channel radio set-up.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 AM
intimidator_md

You're right, he'll at least need a 3 channel for throttle control. I would recommend getting one so you have the ability for throttle control. Just go for an inexpensive 4 channel 'cause trust me, You will get hooked on flying and move up to 4 channel trainers in no time. Ebay some 4 channel radios. You can fine some nice ones for around $50 brand spanking new. I have a Lanier Indicator 2 channel with a .049 killer bee. While it is fun to fly, I do miss not being able to set different throttles for flight. And I have to start the engine last right before flight, otherwise I burn through too much gas and the plane will start to jump through the grass and get away from me.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM
soarhead-RCU

vt:
You could do like wedid in the "old days", Rig up a toggle switch to the servo arm so when you went full up or full right it flips the toggle off and you just float down. Used this in eley powered sailplanes before ESCs were available. Also some guys used trip wires that pulled a rubber band off of a micro switch at full deflection, use a plug in type auto fuse on the outside of the plane to arm it and also protect your motor from going up in smoke if the switch doesnt work and you land with enough juice to burn it up before you get to the plane to unplug the battery. IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!!!!
Good Luck
Bob