Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

What Goodies do I need to make My Ripmax Coyote Electric?

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

What Goodies do I need to make My Ripmax Coyote Electric?

Old 01-26-2003, 06:53 PM
BikePilot-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Goodies do I need to make My Ripmax Coyote Electric?

Hi:

I'm returning to the sport after 15 years, but I never relly learned to fly last time. More like build - crash - build - crash. Shouldn't have built my radio from a kit I guess ; )

Anyway, I now have a Hitec Prism 7x with FM receiver and 2 micro (81) servos.

I bought a Ripmax Coyote, NON-EP version. The only difference is that the EP version includes a Speed 400 motor, folding 6 x3 prop, and spinner.

So I'd like to build mine EP. What do I need, and what is the most economical way to get there?

I found the motor for like $10.00, and the folding props.

Where I get lost is on the speed control and batteries. Some sources say 7 cell, some say 8 cell. Manufacturer [seems] to reccomend 500mah, but I'm not sure. Can I use 600 or 900mah? Nimh OK?

How the heck do I know what speed control amp rating to buy? Hitec's is only rated 10 amps. Great planes has a 5 channel receiver with built-in speed control. will that work?

What kind of spinner will work with a folding prop?

What kind of charger? Hitec 340 seems versatile and reasonably priced.

I generally prefer internet shpping. Who has good prices and good selections?

In leu of any better information, here is what I will order:

Master Airscrew Speed 400 Motor
Hitec 340 3A peak charger
APC 6 x 3 Electric folding prop
GWS GS400 Speed Control (15A)
Hobby Lobby 7 cell Sanyo 600AE Battery Pack

with careful shopping, I can get all this for about $105 plus shipping. Is this the best I'm going to do?

Are there any packages that would make sense? I'm trying to keep the cost down. There are $40 motors and $10 motors, $60 ESC and $30 ESC, $130 chargers and $19 chargers.

Aaargh!
Old 01-27-2003, 10:50 AM
cabanestrut2002

this sounds like a fine setup to me, i just fnished building one for a friend and we used a permax 480 and a 6x 3 folding prop, seven or eight cells are fine. i would go for about 20 amps on the speedo.
the electric conversion of the standard kit is not too easy, even with the instruction sheet, replace the liteply motor mounting ring with ply.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:15 PM
BikePilot-RCU

Default Thanks for the tips

I never would have thought of changing the mounting plate.

Dave
Old 01-27-2003, 01:54 PM
Steve Lewin

Make sure you get a 6V motor. A 7.2V one will struggle a bit. Other than it sounds o.k. I don't know anything about that particular GWS speed control but 15A is enough for a S400. If the currents gets much above the the motor will die anyway.

The folding prop should come with its own spinner.

Steve
Old 01-27-2003, 02:59 PM
BikePilot-RCU

Default Is a 6V motor with 8 cells OK?

Several people have suggested I use an 8 cell pack rather than a 7.

You are the 1st to mention the different motor voltages. This is what the motor manufacturer's webpage states:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
7.2 volt, S400 motor has built-in capacitors and uses 6 cells. Shaft size is .090. Use with Master Airscrew Speed 400 prop adapter and 6x3 prop (MA3410). A gearbox for this motor is planned for early 2001.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Is it really "ok" to use a 6V rated motor with a battery pack with more than 50% greater voltage?

Or are you saying use a 7 cell with the 6.0V motor (and, therefore, I would assume and 8 cell with the 7.2V motor)?
Old 01-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Steve Lewin

I was trying to answer your suggestions, though I see you've been getting answers on the Ezone forums too. I wasn't sure where to reply. Isn't it getting confusing ?

Anyway, motor voltages don't mean much, plenty of people use 8 cells on 6V motors. However I was suggesting 7 cells cus you seemed to be rather money-conscious and 7 is cheaper than 8 plus I'm not sure 8 will fit in a Coyote very well. It's not very big and for decent power it's worth sticking to the 600AE NiCd batteries or at least a similar sized battery. Smaller cells will likely not deliver the current you need.

I know the Coyote flies nicely on a Graupner 6V Speed 400 with the battery and prop size you suggested. Don't know the MA 400 though it will probably be pretty similar to the Graupner. Obviously it's up to you which you use but IMO in small models it's not a good idea to add extra weight (an additional cell) just to allow you to use a different version of the motor.

Good luck - Steve
Old 01-27-2003, 05:34 PM
BikePilot-RCU

Default OK. Thanks for clarifying.

I too have my doubts about fitting an 8 cell battery.

I just wasn't sure about what you meant on voltage ratings. To be honest, I didn't even realize that a 400 motor came in different voltage ratings, so it's good that you mentioned it.