Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New Flyer in Town

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Devilduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Flyer in Town

Hello everyone,

I am new the electric scene. Not so much to flying models. I fly, shhhhh, control line stunt mostly. I am looking to branch away from it. Not, quit doing it of course. I am looking at getting a park flyer of some sort. I need something fairly slow and kinda big. As it is mainly for my father, his eyes aint so good anymore.

I do plan to get into the R/C world again. I tried it several years ago. Built a Eagle 2 flew it at a local field(with a instructor for 3 months). Got good at it. Loops, rolls, spins, cuban 8s, squares, etc etc. I could fly, until the dreaded day. The OS 40 crapped out on me. I was high and up wind. I came in for a stick a little hot. Yawed to bleed airspeed and out of no where the wind monster bit me. Soon after repairing and flying alittle more. I decided on going back to control line stunt competitively. I did fly alot at PAMPA contests and a few times in Muncie(??), Indiania at the nationals.

Now, granted RC is a bigger ball of wax, I will never stop lovingly putting my very expensive, piped .65 feet off the ground inverted...hehe.

So, this is really more of a hello to all of you. I am very interested in the Elec flyers. Mainly because the smaller ones I can fly in my parents yard with enough room to fly larger aircraft as we have 20 acres cleared. Once I get back into the RC world. The main draw is the PRICEs. I am getting older and inflation is a nightmare...LOL....harder and harder to drop 275 bucks for a motor, fuel, etc etc. Not to mention the clean up time.

So, I am thinking I am going to go by say toys' r' us and get a little cheapy to have fun with until I reasearh more here and on the net for the perfect trainer. And yes, i can have my alierons??

Thanks for reading
Good Flying.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:21 PM
FMB42

Default RE: New Flyer in Town

Welcome aboard DevilD!
I recommend that you consider an Aero Ace 2 chn. for about $20. They fly well and are durable. Lots of threads on these machines BTW.

I started out with a 48 inch gas trainer about 10 yrs ago. I just did not have the time and money to stay with it due to wife, kids, work etc. I got back into RC this yr with electric planes, helicopters, tanks, etc. And I have less then 500 bucks in all of my electric stuff compared to the over $300 I had in just one gas plane.

A couple hundred bucks should get you an Aero Ace and a good RTF aileron trainer with money to spare. And yes, the RCU forums will give you priceless info and feedback on various models and suppliers. This will save you time and money for sure.

P.S. Battery charging cycles and E power calculations will more then make up for oily clean up time.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good next size up plane would be the Hacker Super Zoom. Flies like a controline with ailerons Used to fly them too many moons ago. Super Zoom is made from EPP which is a very tough, flexible foam. Does good aerobatics at fairly slow speed,so a good one to learn with.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I'm gtting the suer zoom as a Chistmas gift. Gald to hear the favorable comments
Old 12-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give us a holler when you get it as I did a couple of tweaks to improve it a bit, although it does work fine as is. For instance there is an aluminum wire that goes down the side of the fuse. Replace it with carbon fibre rod, as it isn't strong enough on a rough landing.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Devilduck

I presume the Aero Ace series you have talked about is the cheap 1 stick planes found around town at toys r us, etc etc. I dropped by TrU last night they only had the Jet version, kinda looked like a f-117. Not so sure about that one. I hear it is kinda fast. As, this is somewhat for my father. He may not be able to do well with it.

I am looking at maybe that Piper cub from Hobbico(??) priced at 150 US. So, if I get that one. Plus a 4 channel Futuba radio I should be good, right?
Yes, we will be flying alot without an instructor but, both of us have flown RC before. Kinda like riding a bike lol.

Also, how are those micro helos, something to play around with indoors on the rainy days?

Also, I am going to get me a plane of sorts. Of course a high wing trainer to work out the bugs, then I will advance to somewhere. Really got my eye on 3d way down the road. Looks fun and challenging. So, in my case, knowing I am not just going to park fly in circles down the road. Would a 6 channel or even a 7 channel be better for me. I should not have sold all my radios in 2000, hind sight 20/20. haha.

And I understand all the channels and more is better, so who is making the best 6 or 7 channel? I believe I saw something about a DX7 by spectrum?

Thanks for taking the time to help me
Old 12-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Leo L

Hi Devilduck,

Welcome to electric flying. If you want to get a cheap plane to knock around in your spare time or to fly while your batteries are charging, you can't beat the Airhogs AeroAce. Just don't go for any substitutions. Don't worry about getting the jet for your father. The AeroAce Bi-plane flys at around 8 mph. The jet might be able to get up to 10mph. Shouldn't be a problem for your father.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:05 AM
cyclicoverload

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody these days makes a 6 or 7 ch. Hitec,JR and Futaba are best but if you are going to fly electric RC you cant go wrong with the DX6. It is the best $200 bucks you will ever spend and that radio can go in all kinds of things parkflyers,hand launch slope gliders(close range),electric helicopters,indoor flyers. And you will never have to mess with freq. problems again, plus it is almost interferance free. The little planes some of the guy's are talking about are great! thay are cheep and fly good. Thay will teach you the skill of flying well. If you get the DX6 then get the GWS Pico Cub or Tiger Moth then the only other things you will need after getting the Cub and DX6 are: speed control,2 cell LiPo battery,battery charger.The plane is only $30 bucks, you can be flying one of the best slow flyers for under $300. And after you kill that plane you will still have the radio equipment to put in another.

Best of luck and welcome to RC
P.S. i still have four Brodak 1/2 A CL planes hanging over me right now and fly them two or three times a month.And i am building RSM's 1/2 A Pinto (mini orential) right now,i'm glad there are still some CL guy's out here.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Devilduck

Thanks cyclic,

I did pick up one of those AeroAce, I got the f16 only one they had left. See how that works out. Wal-Mart had it.

I have not flew 1/2A in forever. Alot of fun it is. I have the big boys lol.. .60 sized Strega on 66.5 FT lines. Tuned pipe. I also have a ton of .40-.45 sized planes. I need to knock off some dust soon. As the compitetion season in about 1 month away. If I even fly in any this year.

I will likely go with the Futaba 6ch as Futuba is all I had back in the days when I flew RC.

It will be after the holidays before i get really serious into getting stuff going. So, for now i am going to tinker with my AeroAce.
My Father picked up something from somewhere. To tinker with too. I think he bought it from Harbor freight store for 10 US. I seen those there. Small yellow plane, not sure of the name. But, I am sure it will either be a Brick(Like my .42 Nobler CL plane-had to re build the tail before I could fly it. Got some bad wood. I figured it would be ok..wrong...) Or I can get it flying. I think it is this one I have yet to see it. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92304. So, 10 US sure beats...500 US and grass eating. I have yet to find a go RC weed-eater but when I do look out.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2006, 08:54 AM
benbailey50

Good Moring Devilduck.

Welcome to the wonderful world of flying........Like my self is new to R/C - Electric scene and a begginer to.

The model I have is the E-flite Cessna 182.