Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Help wanted for CCLee J-3 Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help wanted for CCLee J-3 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Grandadap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wanted for CCLee J-3 Cub

I bought a pig in a poke buying the Cub from eBay. Struggled to fly the plane yesterday and although it was nicely balanced, it was terribly underpowered. I managed 5 minutes flight time, and the glide angle is great.
The plane has a 8.4 v 650 mah battery and a 380 direct drive motor. No ESC, there is a switch on the top of the Tx for either FULL power or OFF.

I know that I require new electrics, ESC, Tx and Rx and probably a more powerful motor.

As a newcomer to electric flying the electrics are a mystery to me.

I need help!

A wiring diagram of the electrics to give some idea how everything works and which motor and prop to install to give the plane more oomph and also more flying time. I have three 8.4 v 650 mah batteries and two 7.2 v batteries, 950 mah and a 1400 mah. The battery space measures 60mm long, 50 mm wide and 30 mm deep.
Is it worth spending on this plane or shall I bin it.
It's more than thirty years since I flew ic radio control.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:34 AM
FMB42

Default RE: Help wanted for CCLee J-3 Cub

Hello Grand,
I have a Shun Da Cub with a similar direct drive motor and it is very underpowered as well. Few it for about 100 ft. and then had to "land" due to the wind and lack of power. You may want to fly your Cub 3 or 4 more times in order to cycle the batteries and break the motor in, as this may improve your flight times and power output. Otherwise, a geared motor and mount for your cub will run you about 15 bucks (I plan on replacing my direct drive motor with a geared unit from another plane). AJ1202 and other members have posted info. on motor/batt/prop combos on this thread (just a few pages back) that might help you decide what to do.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:06 PM
AJ1202

Grand, here you will find all the help you need to make your plane fly well with plenty of power
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3312791/tm.htm
just go to the last post and ask any questions you have, but if you have time read through it some to read up on many mods and fixes that can be done
Old 12-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Grandadap

Hi AJ

Thanks for the thread, I've read through it (took a while) and posted a copy of my original message. Plenty of advice out there and also lots of flying debris. Haven't made up my mind yet what to do. Possibly buy a decent Rx and Tx for the time being and a high grade ESC to match. Go the the local library and read up on wiring diagrams then wait for inspiration or something like that. I'm saving for a Multiplex EasyStar (the family has been helping out with cash in lieu of presents), almost have enough to splash out so there is no hurry with the Cub update.
Andy
Old 12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Leo L

Andy,

Welcome back to flying. As an alternate to the EasyStar, consider the HobbyZone SuperCub. As good a beginner plane as the EasyStar, is has the added benefit of landing gear for ground take-offs & touch-and-go's, and has the appearance of a real plane.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Grandadap

Thanks Leo,
I'll look up the SuperCub before deciding.
andy