Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

I know you've heard this before - But.......

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

I know you've heard this before - But.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Mr Dipthong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know you've heard this before - But.......

Well here goes my first post. I am trying to self learn to fly (no clubs or field nearby). I tried an XL for a few flights but it is to fast for the area I have available and I think the stick layout will hurt me in the long run. So, I want to get something I can fly a little slower and lower and that uses a standard TX layout.

Here is what I have.
Airtronics VG4 TX.
Hitec Feather RX
Hitec HS55 x 2
Watt-age IC-5CA

Here is what I can get at my LHS.
Mini-max
Slow Stick
Pico Stick F
Beaver
Tiger Moth

I think the TM is great, but is it to fragile for a rank newbie? The Beaver seems to have quite a bit more wing loading. Will it be too fast? The Slow Stick is probably my best bet but I was hoping for a more plane like look. So, what about the Pico Stick F or the Mini-max?

Your knowledge is really helpful. You should have seen the list of planes I was considering before I started reading these posts.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:25 AM
AirVenture-RCU

The slowest is probably the slow stick or picostick. You'll radios will also work with that setup. Just add a battery.

-Brett
Old 02-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Wright Flyer

Glen,

Any of the planes you list would be a good starting point but these days I think almost everyone would suggest the Slow Sitck as the BEST first plane and all the gear you've got will work very nicely in it.

Try reading through the Parkflyers section on Ezone. You'll find that almost every second post on there these days is about the SlowStick and how successful people are finding it. Even the die-hard, long time fliers with their brushless powered 3D aerobats are saying that even THEY like the SS as a relaxing alternative.

Cliff
Old 02-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Mr Dipthong

Thanks for the replies. After reading many of the posts here I decided to get the SS. Unfortunately by the time I got back to my LHS yesterday they were out of stock. I didn't want to wait for another shipment so I picked up the Pico Stick F. I hope it was the right move. I'll post after I get it in the air (I hope) and geive a report.