Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

New to Electric - Please Help

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New to Electric - Please Help

Old 02-02-2003, 05:39 AM
jbfoster
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Electric - Please Help

Hi All,
I just finished my first electric. I tacked the RPM at 3100. It sure does not feel like enough to fly the plane. It takes half throttle to get the plane to move on the ground. What (approx) RPM should I be getting ?

What I have is:

7.2v - 9.6v 280 motor
280 gearbox 4.1:1
C-10 ESC with BEC
10X4.7 APC prop
battery is a 7.4v 2 cell lithium pack from Balsa Products.
Plane is a scratch built PF-Cruise built from plans bought on Ebay. I have not weighed the plane yet but should be around 13oz.

The electronics is the GreatPlanes setup. (motor, gearbox, prop and ESC) GPMG0430

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-02-2003, 11:09 PM
jbfoster
My Feedback: (16)

The plane has a 41" wing span and it weighs 15oz. I tried to fly it but not enough power. The plane would not even try to take off. My plane is 3oz heavier than it should. The plane should weigh around 12.5 oz. Would the 3oz make a big difference ?

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-03-2003, 04:21 AM
AirVenture-RCU

No, the 3oz shouldn't stop the plane from flying, but then again it might depend on the plane you are flying. What is it exactly. Simply put, you need more power. Some ways to do this is upgrade to a speed 300 (same size as the 280, so it will fit your gearbox). I'm not yet familiar with lithiums, so I can't help there.

-Brett