Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Ailerons are kickin my Butt!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Ailerons are kickin my Butt!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 02:37 AM
dtindall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailerons are kickin my Butt!

I have been flying a Slow Stick for quite a while and love it so I thought it was time to move up and purchase a second plane. I got a GWS P-51 but I am having a trouble keeping it in the air. The flight controls are working, the plane seems to balanced and in good condition, I just can't seem to get it up and trimed out before I have to pack up for the day and head home only to repair my plane again. I have flown a couple of wide circles in the field and done a roll or two but my days at the field are very short. My on purpose landings are rough but the ones I don't anticipate are real bad, nose dives mostly. Does anybody have any hints on how to properly get used to the flight controls and style of this aileron flying technique?
Old 02-21-2003, 04:32 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Have you tried a Flight Simulator? If your controls & CG are correct then maybe it's just time to practice. Instead of hurting your plane any more. Download FMS and try some AIL models. http://www.comeparkfly.com/simulator.html

good luck
Old 02-22-2003, 12:02 PM
thesnapper

Default hmmmmmmm same probs

Having the same problems myself, been used to a Pico Cub and have moved onto a Zagi, the thing is set up brilliantly, its just remembering that the Zagi will not self level and straighten out in flight yiu need to do this with the sticks. Anyhow it has survived some horrendous crashes ie nose dived at full power from 200ft straight into hard compacted ground at my local park. The thing bounced over thirty feet in the air and the only damage i had to report was a broken prop.

I have been using FMS as well, but nothing quite prepares you for those moments of panic out on the field!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Wright Flyer

The Crazy Max is a good plane for learning ailerons as you can try (and get away with!) things on that, that would be disastorous with another aileron plane.

After the Crazy Max the MM Switchback Sport is another good choice. It has some dihedral so tends to self level out of turns a bit which means that you're not faced with the "full on" aileron experience from day one. Only thing is that while it's possibly the best aileron trainer its not as durable as a Crazy Max.

Cliff
Old 03-30-2003, 06:09 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Default Warbirds

You have to remember that a warbird is a warbird, whether it is a
fullscale or a 1/2A. The techniques are the same. They don't float,
they need to land under more power than just idle, they don't self-correct when you let go of the sticks, etc. It sounds to me like
the plane is stalling from lack of speed, which if it happens at low
altitudes, is unrecoverable. The simulator is the best thing for learning a new model or flying technique. Well worth the money,
or just get the freeware sims like FMS and practice, practice, practice.

Jesse
Old 04-02-2003, 11:36 PM
SalvageMan

To start set your aileron throws very, very low, then halve that. Don't try rolls, loops, etc. until you can fly a circle turning right, then turning left(or vice versa), then a fig. 8. Once you get those down, then work your way into the fancy stuff.
I know that the excitement gets to you, but just hold off until you get the basics down pat.
And keep it high.

Chuck