Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

lipo to nimh

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
humpy64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo to nimh

Currently training on an electristar on Nimh batteries. Don't get enough time. Using 2 3000s now. Will I get more flight time with LiPo and,if so, what size to replace what I am using. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: lipo to nimh

you will probably get more flight time with lipo's just because of the power density issue.

I'm not sure what batteries you are talking about

two 3000mAh? what voltage? series or parallel? what is the weight on the pack? what is the max amp draw of your plane?

oh and BTW welcome to RCU =)
Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 PM
ozrcboy

Hi Humpy,

As per what mrasmm said, higher power density means probably a lighter battery, means probably a ligher aircraft, means you don't need to go as fast to stay in the air, means you can fly longer.

Also as per what he said, depends on many things like the capacity of current batteries versus proposed LiPo replacements.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Dr Kiwi

If you replace your NiMh pack with a Lipo of the same weight, it will be of far higher capacity, so, all else being equal you will get longer flight times. Of course, you need to allow for the voltage differences in terms of what you are putting through your motor - 6-cells is close to 2s lipo, but 7-cells or 8-cells or 9-cells is in nowhere land, 10-cells is close enough to 3s.

Just for fun I looked up some weights of NiMh versus Lipo.

A 10-cell 3300 NiMh pack weighs 620g....a 3s 3250 Lipo (Tanic) weighs 260g... you could have 3s2p 6500mAh for a lot less than your single 10-cell 3300 NiMh!!!!!