Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

100% Newb

Old 08-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Kul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100% Newb

I'm a 100% Newbi who would like to get into RC plane flying. I bought a cheap foam Power Air Surfer Sky Woolf plane at walmart to learn the basics but that plane just sucks. It has trouble flying even in a low breeze. It is able to climb up to the tree tops in a strait line but because it only has elevators for control the plane drops as a stone when i attempt any turns. It will loose all of its altitude after turning just 90 degrees. In fact, the joystick only has one thumb stick that lets you controll eirther pitch or roll, but not both at the same time. I would now like to learn what plane would you recommend getting to learn how to fly. Preferably it should be easy to maintain and fly while not costing more than $100. The plane should also be durable. I also saw a couple of google videos of planes that have web cameras in them giving you a feeling that you are flying a real plane. I would love to have one of those. I also dont really know anyone who flies these so i will have to learn everything by myself. Because i'm in college and dont have my own car i will not be able to join any RC Plane Clubs. Preferably this plane should fly for over 15 minutes or have cheap spare batteries or quickly charging batteries. Any suggestions?

PS: I have posted this question in another section of these forums but i dont think that was the right section. I think electric RC planes and not nitro is what i'm looking for.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
new-heli-pilot

Default RE: 100% Newb

I'm new to planes myself, and haven't bought one yet but here is a plane for just over $100. http://myrcsupply.net/index.php?main...ducts_id=14081 It is called the Hobby Zone Super Cub. Actually there is a thread about it in the Backyard and parkflyers section, called Official Hobbyzone "Super Cub" thread or something like that. I will probably go with that one myself.

John
Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: Kul
I would now like to learn what plane would you recommend getting to learn how to fly. Preferably it should be easy to maintain and fly while not costing more than $100. The plane should also be durable. I also saw a couple of google videos of planes that have web cameras in them giving you a feeling that you are flying a real plane. I would love to have one of those. I also dont really know anyone who flies these so i will have to learn everything by myself.
Hi Kul,

I don't know whether it is doable for less than $100, but it sounds to me like you need an easystar from Multiplex. Easy to fly (one of the most highly recommended trainers), very robust (only breaks under extreme provocation and then easily repairable), Low maintenance (well most electrics are), and also is able to carry a massive (for an RC electric plane) payload. Lots of people use these as camera platforms precisely because they are easy stable flyers that you can strap 200 or 300 grams to without seeming to affect the flight profile at all.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Leo L

Hi Kul; Hi John,

Welcome to RC Flying!

The two best beginner planes are the HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar. I prefer the SuperCub because it has landing gear that allows you to do ground take-offs, and because it looks like a real plane. If you can get the Supercub for around $100, grab it as quick as you can. The plane sells in most stores and on-line for $160. Check out the various beginner threads here on RCUniverse, on RCGroups.com and on Wattflyer.com for more information. Here is a good link for you to read: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208
Old 08-18-2007, 01:29 AM
tmackel

Super Cub for $150 is a no brainer. If you can get it cheaper than that, then run and get it. At least with the super cub you can decide if you really want into this hobby and if you don't the investment was low. Now that I am adding other planes to the hangar, My son and I still fly the Cub. When he has friends over we can take them flying with us.

I wish I would have gone straight to the cub, It would have saved me a few bucks.

-Ted