Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie saying hi!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Balr14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie saying hi!

I just bought my first "real" airplane over at My RC Supply; a Parkzone Cessna 210 micro and I am full of questions. I flew gas RC and control line planes about 25 years ago, but this electric stuff is completely new to me. For the past few months, I've been playing around with an Air Hog Aero Ace bi-plane (love it) and a Megatech Avion bi-plane (hate it). I mainly fly in my yard. It not real big, but I get an hour or two almost every day where there's virtually no wind. Flying these two planes in a yard with any kind of air current is more of a challenge than flying the gas planes I flew back in the 80s. But, I enjoy just flying around my yard. I'd just like a plane that can do a little more and reacts to input better. But, I am old (64) and my reactions aren't that quick. So, here's some dumb questions:

1. Is the Parkzone Cessna a good choice for me?

2. I bought an extra battery. Should I be investing in a battery charger for these LiPo batteries? How about the AA batteries in the base/transmitter?

3. Where do I go next? Is there a little bigger back yard plane I can try, or is it time to move to bigger spaces? There's a very large open field across the street from my house. It's very overgrown with weeds, thistles, etc, but not many trees. I'd have to hand launch anything I flew there and smooth landings would be out of the question.

Sorry if my questions are vague, I don't know enough to ask more specific things. I'm hoping to learn before I waste a lot of money (like on that Megatech Avion).
Old 08-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Newbie saying hi!

Why go for such a TINY planel - I'm 60 and there is no way I could see a plane that small! That Micro Cessna is really only for indoors - if we believe the 18g there is no way it will fly outside in other than dead calm. I would suggest a far larger plane which would be more stable and easier to see and to control. I realize you want to fly in a tiny space, but until you can master a modest plane, you need to find a decent size park to fly in. Since you are obviously competent with gas aircraft, something like the Stevens Aero Slow Stick with ailerons might be suitable. A Multiplex EasyStar needs a large space, but it is a very tough plane and could stand landing in the weeds. You could get rechargeable AA's for the transmitter (cheap enough with charger at Walmart). The tiny Lipo is a problem - I assume the Cessna comes with a wall charger, but you'd need something special for a portable charger for a pack as small as your 1s 70mAh Lipo.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Leo L

Hi Balr,

How many forums did you post in? I am a member of five sites and at times I have posted the same question in all five.

Since you are not a beginner, having had experience years ago with control line and gas, you don't need to be restricted to beginner planes. For your flying area, you might want to consider the Cox warbirds. They are larger than the AeroAce, but smaller than most other RC planes. You can buy them RTF for around $100, or ARF for around $20, but you need to buy all of the micro hardware. I don't have any of them, but I've seen them fly and they are quite decent. Too small for a large field, but probably perfect for your area. http://coxmodels.com/products.asp?dept=80
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Balr14

I only post on two sites and don't ask the same questions. Thanks for the tip about the Cox warbirds. That really takes me back! Cox made the first gas powered RC stuff I had in the late 70s. One thing I'm finding out that hasn't changed in 25 years and it doesn't matter if it's gas or electric, is a decent transmitter, receiver, servos and other hardware still cost a lot more than the plane.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Tommyr

It's a great little plane (I just got one and flew it 3 times so far) but it's NOT a first timer plane due to the fact that it's fairly fragile. A good first timer plane would be something like a Super cub, T-Hawk, Wing Dragon. check into those 3 planes.

Tom
Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Balr14

Oh crap! I have a hunch this won't be the only mistake I'll make.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM
tye
My Feedback: (2)

It's a great plane. As long as you don't crash on hard surface, you will be fine. I crashed a lot on my lawn with no damage. My son (16 month old) broke the rear wing by grabbing it. I fixed it with tape and it works fine. If there is no wind, you will have a lot of fun with it. I only fly it in my backyard but sometimes it's too windy for it.
It comes with the charger in the base with the kit. It takes 20-30 minutes to charge. I haven't been able to find the battery connector that will fit the tiny battery, so I'm using the kit charger even I have a lipo charger for my other lipos with deans and micro deans connectors.