Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

newbie says hi and begs for help

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

newbie says hi and begs for help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:41 PM
G-EMMA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie says hi and begs for help

Hi all,

Firstly just to say hello as a newbie RC flyer (all of 6 flights over the last two days, but hooked already)

Secondly,

Did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for, being a bit swamped by all the info.

I'm flying a Firebird Freedom. I'm getting on with it very well having researched a bit and found out some of the problems I've avoided most of them and had some really great flights and landings.

So far so good after 6 flights with no major crashes (I did some time on the FMS sim first and waited until there was almost no wind at all)

My problem, the motor mount looks like it is going to crack up. The plastic around the air vents is looking creased and the paint has started to fall off. Not sure what caused this, only had one heavy nose landing and it looked fine afterwards. Maybe it is just a bit weak.

I'm sure someone has come up with a fix, trouble is I can't find it anywhere!

So if anyone can point me in the right direction I'll be truly happy.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 PM
john canfield

Default RE: newbie says hi and begs for help

It's not a big deal. I rammed my motor into the fuse after a hard crash and just pulled it out and flew it again. As far as I know, there is no mod for the motor mount.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Sir Raleigh

I'm not that familiar with that plane, but on my Wing Dragon 4 the motor was pushed in a little during a crash.

For a fix, I cut a piece of 1/8" hobby grade plywood just a little larger in diameter than the area where the motor is mounted. I put this on the outside of the plane so the screws that hold the motor applies pressure against the plywood which then applies equal pressure all around the area where the motor is mounted instead of just in the center of the mount where the screws are so it reinforces that area.

Maybe this will give you some ideas.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:18 AM
G-EMMA

Thanks Bill, I had plans for a complicated fix, but followed your simple solution. The metal plate puts the force in a heavy landing right on to the weakest bit with the cut outs. So I made up a plate as you suggested to spread the load, works great and fitting the plate pulled everything back into shape. Just had my first flight after the mod, also first in moderately windy conditions, scary but now 7 flights done with the freedom.

I've read so many threads that the freedom is the devil, I'm a total newbie so will pass on what I have learnt about the FF.

It hates wind, but my 7th flight today was in a moderate wind I would say I was about on the limit. So make the first five or so flights in no wind or just the lightest breeze.

The angle of seating of the V-tail is really critical. I have to give some up-trim on the controller for the hand launch then a fair bit of down trim on the controller when flying about. If you are having real trouble with the hand launch, which needs to be level and a fairly heavy throw, not nose up into the air, try adjusting the seating angle by bringing the front end of the tail down a bit closer to the boom thingy.

I did the first flights on full power, that helped me a lot to get height whilst I learnt to fly it, just getting it to swoop around in wide circles a few hundred feet up. Worry about doing nice square circuits when you get the hang of it.

Land real fast into the wind. I mean really fast, bring her down to about 6 feet whilst the motor still has some life, when she's level slowly take off the power and flare a few times just above the ground. Scary for me, but this has been much better than trying to slow down for a gently landing and getting a tip stall.

Last thing, fly in a really really big space. I'm lucky here right now as I access to huge crop fields after the harvest. I've been flying in a huge field and still I've found at times that I was having to think fast to keep the freedom from getting away from me. I also need the space for that fast landing.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Sir Raleigh

Glad the mod worked for you. I'm planning to replace my brushed motor with a brushless outrunner and that piece of plywood, or one similar to it, will be where I mount it. That's what gave me the idea of adding the plywood firewall/brace to add more support to the brushed motor.

Congrats on your successful flights. I'm always pleased to hear success stories involving difficult-to-fly planes. That just goes to show nothing is impossible.