Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hobby Lobby Super Cub

Old 03-18-2003, 08:08 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby Super Cub

I have a HL Super Cub Speed 400 outfit on order. Anyone built one? I didn't see any on the Product Review forum.
Picked up lots of tips here already. Thanx to all who contribute!
For Cub fans, there are lots of Cub pics at www.supercub.net. Got some ideas for paint scheme from there.
I'll be happy to share my frustrations as I build.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:50 AM
foghead

I built the HL Super Cub over the winter. If you have building experience, it should go well. I built mine for display (sitting on top of my fridge. No, I'm not married) I'm not a very good flyer yet, so I wouldn't dream of trying it. Seems very delicate. Mine is covered in dark blue transparent MonoKote. (show off them bones!) It's a beautiful piece of work when finished. The windshield is a ***** to get right, so take your time. Get bigger wheels than suggested. Super Cub is a bush plane! Good luck!
Old 03-19-2003, 01:34 PM
TailDraggin

Thanks, Foghead!
I built lots of CL stuff as a kid. Just gettin' back into the stuff. Sure has changed!
Your Cub sounds beautiful. I'm leanin' toward Cub yellow with red trim.
What size wheels did you go with?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:20 PM
foghead

I used Du-Bro 2" wheels. I put the size the plans called for on first, and it looked funky. The plane is very semi-scale & needs larger wheels to look right.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:47 PM
TailDraggin

Well, I guess the 2 1/16 that come with the Hobby Lobby outfit oughtta be OK then.
Any more tips on buildin' the thing are welcome. I'll post progress reports (weather ya read 'em or not).
Let me know when ya fly yours?
Old 03-21-2003, 01:49 PM
TailDraggin

The kit came yesterday. Everything is there as advertised. I contemplated going 1/2A with it, but will save that for another project.
The fuse looks kinda tight for radio, servos and batteries. In addition, the manual states that the electric version will be nose heavy and advises using heavier wood on the tail and aft fuse. I suspect that it was originally designed as a free flyer. No servo tray, no pushrod routing and no control horns shown on the plans.
Wingtips are outline stick, laminated from 1/16x1/8 x 2. I'm thinkin' 3/32 sheet here. May also go with Ultracote... Cub Yellow, of course.
Should be an interesting bashin' project.
More later...
Old 03-24-2003, 02:36 PM
TailDraggin

Got a lot done over the weekend. While this is NOT a good "first kit" it has gone together reasonably well so far. The plans and instructions require very careful study, and intuition and experience help as well.
I did the laminated wingtips as per the plans. The stab leading edge is another lam job also.
While the balsa die-cuts are not bad (some of the wood is pretty soft for structural pieces) the "lite ply" die-cuts are ragged and require considerable sanding before assembly.
The center section of the wing (above the cockpit was difficult to get square, but with some extra rigging, went together reasonably well. The leading edge of the wing requires extensive shaping work. A long straight sanding block is invaluable for this operation.
The fuse sides are stick built on plan out of small stock. So far the build looks very light and I doubt that the airframe will hold up to any stress at all. Maybe this perception will change as the build progresses.
Sorry for the lack of pictures. No digicam.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 PM
foghead

>this is NOT a good "first kit"

Not by a long shot! I've spent less time building full-house 60-sized glow planes that I did on this one. But, it's worth it when it's finished. Best tip for building this plane: buy stock in a sandpaper company.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:24 PM
TailDraggin

Got more done last night. Got the fuse framed, and the tailfeathers are all but covered and hinged. Looking at placement of stuff in the fuse and I think I have a workable scheme. The plans say to put everything as far aft as possible. What I came up with is a two-shelf system to the rear of the opening under the (removable) wing with the (2) servos aft top side-by-side, the receiver in front of them, and the battery pack below and between the bottoms of the servos on the bottom shelf. Should be able to secure the battery pretty easily there and keep it from shifting. The ESC can go forward of the shelf or even on the back of the firewall, and the switch will fit on the cabin door.
The fuse structure firmed up some but still seems pretty delicate. I'm hoping the covering will give it some strength.
Next step is to build the shelves, do a temp install on the inboard gear and check for balance.
The covering presents some problems I haven't solved yet. I'll need to figure out a way to secure the (tube-type) pushrods before covering and then shift them out of the way, cover the sides first, and then put them in place through holes in the side covering.
Also, the area at the root of the fin and the aft junction of the wing and fuse (with the bolt holes) looks like it'll be a booger to get covered cleanly.
I'm open to ideas here...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:45 PM
foghead

<hmmm... me thinks he hasn't found the *real* covering problem yet> The top wingtips. I streched, I pulled, I burned my fingers. Argh! If I had it to do over, I would have split and overlapped the wing tip covering. Not the best method, I'm sure, but it would sure beat the big dents I burned in them. Anyhow, can't see them looking up at it, so what the heck.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:02 PM
TailDraggin

Thanks! Something else to look forward to. LOL.
Gonna start on my second fuse tomorrow. I was tryin' to gorillya a slight alignment problem at the aft wing anchor crossmember and the whole fuse disintegrated in my hand. This time the longerons are gonna be basswood! That oughtta help the nose-heavy problem too. I'm also gonna build a solid section on top under the fin to help with that (other) covering problem I mentioned. Or at least sheet it.
I DID get the wiring all done. The engine-to-ESC; and matching quick-disconnects on both battery packs, the ESC and the charger. Did an electrical systems check and everything works from the TX to the servos!
The little radio and battery box/deck/shelf deal worked out pretty well. I'm going to put rails on the inside of the fuse so I can slide the package for best balance before gluing it down.
Having some second thoughts about power. I read in another thread that the 6-cell setup doesn't provide enough oomph for the Speed 400. I don't know if the other system had a gear drive or was a slow flyer though. I'll give the six-pack a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll go to 7 cells.

I had forgotten how much fun this stuff is. I feel like a big ol' bass that's been hooked by the same lure twice!
Old 03-29-2003, 02:41 PM
TailDraggin

Built the second fuse yesterday using 1/8x3/16 basswood for longerons. Probably should have used 1/8 square because of the weight, but this one is much more robust. Might even survive a crash or two.... if it gets off the ground. <grin>

Foghead... Did you put the side windows under the curved balsa pieces? The instructions are confusing on that point.

Next... landing gear and nose.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:40 PM
foghead

If you're referring to the rear windows, they go under. Everything goes under, except the part of the windshield that goes in front of the cabin braces and the part that attaches to the leading edge formers. btw, if you're using CA for the windows, use sparingly. CA fogs that clear plastic like crazy.

Bit of a tip here, I tried putting monokote on the window frames without much success. Just too hard to get a good seal with my iron in those cramped spaces. So, I stripped it off and found matching paint for those. Saved me a lot of dog kicking. Another plus for electrics: No fuelproofing necessary.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:43 PM
TailDraggin

Rgr on the paint. Cadmium yellow acrylic from my wife's art supply stash is a close match to Hangar 9 Cub Yellow Ultracote.
Got the motor mount built and the firewall rough-sanded to size last night. The firewall-cowl fit was nowhere close from the kit. Just one more in a long line of bashing opportunities on this one.
Did you cut out the square cylinder vents in the front of the cowl?
Hoping to get to the landing gear tonight.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:56 PM
foghead

Since I don't plan to fly this plane (yet), I just painted the motor vents flat black. HOWEVER, if you plan to equip it with a motor and fly it, cut those out so air can cool the motor. In fact, if I ever decide to fly mine, I'll probably cut an additional vent on the bottom of the cowling and another one somewhere else for the batteries.

sand, sand, sand, sand, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Old 04-02-2003, 11:13 PM
TailDraggin

Not much progress the last few days. I DID get the gear soldered up, but that's about all. I bent the support strut so it parallels the wheel mounts on the ends. That way the junction will serve as a stop behind the wheel (after it's filed smooth.)

I downloaded that free flight sim and figure I've saved myself about 4 dozen crashes so far. I thought it would be pretty simple with 40 hours in a real airplane under my belt along with countless hundreds in Microsoft FS. Not so!!!! The left/right reversal thing when the plane is approaching is gonna be tough! I think all that in-plane experience might HURT rather than help. I even tried the "turn your body" trick. You wouldn't believe the contortions I got into. My chiropractor is gonna be smilin' for a month!
Old 04-10-2003, 06:56 PM
TailDraggin

Default Foghead? Ya still with me?

Got a real dilemma goin' on. I'm about ready to cover, but I havent built or routed the pushrods yet. Should I cover the fuse and then just poke the rods through the Ultracote? Where do your pushrods come out on the tail? My servos are side-by-side longwise mounted to a tray under the aft end of the wing opening. Does it matter which side the elevator and rudder control horns are on as long as there is one on each side?

Needless to say, the kit instructions in this area are a little weak (read non-existant).
Old 04-11-2003, 11:57 AM
foghead

Can't remember what's on the plans for pushrods, if anything, I'll have to take a look at mine. However, I would definately build and/or install them *before* covering. What kind are you using, just the metal rods, or the flexible ones with tubing? That can make a big difference when you go to cover. You don't want to melt the tubing. I'll have a look at my plans tonight and get back with my 1/2 cents worth.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:46 PM
TailDraggin

The accessories pack that came with the kit included the tubing type.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:48 PM
foghead

Whelp, I looked at my plans, and you were right. No diagram for pushrods. So. Here's what *I* would do. If you have the plastic tube-type, decide where you're going to anchor the tubing, then cover the sides BEFORE anchoring it. That way, you have the top and bottom open to allow access for anchoring and don't melt the tubing. Then, after installing the push rods, seal up the top and bottom of the fuse. btw, I usually have rudder control on the left and elevator on the right.

Disclaimer: These are only my suggestions here, I am not a professional pilot, I am not an attorney, I am not a physicain. But, after building about a dozen planes (and they all flew...at least once ), the above is my humble opinion.

good luck!
Old 12-13-2003, 06:46 PM
hercules

Default RE: Hobby Lobby <span class=

It's nice to hear other people out there have built/or in the process of building the super cub: Taildraggin, I wish I could see some pics on where you installed your shelves, yes the plans do lack some specs. Foghead what did you use for hinges? H-L sent me ca's but as you both well know, there isn't enough meat on the trailing edges of the vert/horz stabs or flt controls. Any help would be much app. Thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Hobby Lobby <span class=

Taildraggin: I too am building the HL Cub and read that you crushed the fuse. I'm not surprised, in fact I built the Fuse twice. The 1st time with scrap balsa just to see it, then the second time to handle real flying conditions. The second time I built a top& bottom using 1/8" square rails over the plans and then built 2 sides using 1/16". I also used a lot of 1/16" triangle bracing. I now have 4 "true" fuse pcs. that are stronger than the plan. I also used some Floss to cross-tie some of the landing gear bracing using CA. This Kit reminds me of the Free-Flight ones of long ago. I will use the geared 400 and hope everything fits. How about ailerons? think it's too much?
When I'm done I plan to cover it with tissue and dope, going panel to panel. It will be tight as a drum. LMK how your doing. Mikel-t
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 AM
SnowdogJoe

Default RE: Hobby Lobby Super Cub

Just bought it, I guess I am a bit behind the times     wish me luck.  Sure wish there where some pics to see.