Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Not so slow Slow Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Not so slow Slow Stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 PM
__REVO__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so slow Slow Stick

Well I got my slow stick a lil bit ago, but it seems pretty fast for something called the slow stick.. I'm using the 400 motor, and a 8 cell 750mah nimh battery, DX7 and Naro servos. The plane is balanced so that when there is no throttle, it glides level to the ground.

Here is a vid of it flying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=404TG_AHtM4

Is there any way to make it slower? Maybe the CG is off a little, but it glides perfectly with no throttle....
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
john canfield

Default RE: Not so slow Slow Stick

It looked good to me. You need to fly it it in a larger area - it won't seem fast with more maneuvering room. Also, the more experience you have, the slower the plane becomes.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
jdetray

John's comments are exactly on target. Your Slow Stick appears to be flying normally. But the area in which you are flying looks much too small!

Find yourself a large open area -- the size of a baseball or football field at least -- and flying the plane will immediately become a much more pleasurable experience. It will seem much slower. This is especially important when learning to fly, as I'm guessing your brother is.

You want an area that lets you fly for a considerable distance in a straight line before you have to turn. The area in your video looks so small that you have to turn almost immediately after takeoff. That's not good when you are learning.

- Jeff
Old 09-17-2007, 12:07 AM
__REVO__

Gotcha! Right now I'm flying in about a 3/4th of an acre which is my back yard. There is a flying field nearby, so I guess I will try to fly there!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:24 PM
scottware
My Feedback: (5)

Nice flying in that tight space! If even after flying in a larger area you still desire to fly slower you may try using a brushless outrunner motor and LIPO battery. It will reduce the weight of the plane and allow you to fly slower. It will also increase your chances for thermalling at higher altitudes. In a 10 mph steady breeze the Slow Stick will hang in the air like a kite. Ideal conditions for aerial photography. Good luck, Revo.

Scott
www.TheXPortZone.com
Hobbyzone/Parkzone/GWS Slow Stick Accessories and Upgrades
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I can tell from the video, it looks like a SS being flown full throttle.

The 300 version can cruise at half throttle. Have the new Slow Sticks got so heavy you have to fly them that fast to keep them in the air?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 PM
steve_a_reno

Yes that is a small area. You are also flying very low and close which makes the plane look faster. Get to a bigger field and get some altitude 50 -75ft. It will look nice and slow and easy to control.