Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:17 PM
kd5clk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio?

Hey everyone
name here is tony. i am new to the rc plane world. im looking at getting the airtronics vg 6000 radio. everyone here is telling me that starting out with a computer simulator will help reduce the first time flyer blues. my question is can i hook my controler up to the computer and use it on the flight simulator program. if so where can i get a cable for it. i really like the price of the radio and want to buy a radio that i wont out grow for a while. thank for alll the advice in advance.
needing help in oklahoma[8D]
Old 12-09-2007, 06:14 AM
myatesklan

Default RE: radio?

Hi Tony, and welcome!

I had a VG6000 and liked it very well.

As far as the simulator compatibility question: First, you want to decide which sim. you are going to get. The decision will, of course, decide if that particular radio, Airtronics/Sanwa, is compatible with that particular simulator. Almost all sims are compatible with your radio. The other thing that you want to find out is whether or not there is a training plug in the back of the radio-I don't remember. Most radios do have one.

You can probably find all of this information from the specific simulator vendor. However, it is always a good idea to check with the radio manufacturer as well. Maybe some of the guys on here know the answers to your questions. This is a generic overview of how to get the information, and for future reference for any other questions about the specifics of your radio/sim. But, this is a great place to get answers as well, as there are more helpful/ knowledgeable people on here than you can shake a stick at.

Hope this helps a little,
Matt
Old 12-09-2007, 07:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'd get a sim that comes with the fake little transmitter like Real Flight that way your nice radio doesn't get all that wear and tear on the switches and gimbles.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:29 PM
kd5clk

thanks guys i kind of figured it would depend on the sim program. and yes it does have the trainer plug on it. as far as just get a sim program with the control thats probably what im going to do as well. i just thought i might throw this out and see if others might be doing it as well. but thanks again guys for yalls in put. see we say yall in oklahoma lol
ttyl happy flying
tony
Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As a new pilot buying your first hobby grade radio I would make these recommendations:

1) Computer radio -

2) At least 6 channels -

3) Go to 2.4 GHz, go directly to 2.4 GHz. Do not stop at 72 MHz for any reason!!!

With 2.4 GHz there will be no concerns about selecting frequencies or channel conflict. No channel pins and no shooting down or being shot down by other people on your channel.

Depending on your budget there are lots of good ones to choose. Spektrum, JR, Futaba and Airtronics are all making 2.4 GHz radios, though the Airtronics is not shipping yet. They are all good.

Tell us about your budget and your goals. What do you plan to fly? Parkflyers? Gliders? Helis? Pattern? 3D? Scale?

Figure a minimum of $180 to get started with a new 2.4 GHz transmitter/receiver. If you can invest $350, you can get a lot more system. If you have $700 you can get amazing equipment. Got $3000 to spend, they have those too!

You can buy used, but I always recommend new equipment for new flyers. Unless you know what you are doing, the used market can be a dangerous place. I buy a lot of used stuff, but I know what I am doing and I am willing to take the risk of being burned.

And, no matter what you buy, in 2-3 years you will want the newest offering, just because we all like new gadgets. ;-) So forget about the radio that will last you forever. It ain't gonna happen.

But I would not recommend a 72 MHz radio to a new pilot at this point in time. Why buy into old technology.