Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Cessna 182 Motor Cuts Out

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Cessna 182 Motor Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:15 PM
rvamx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna 182 Motor Cuts Out

Hello everyone,

I just found this website and it has already proven to be very informative! However, I need your help. I have a problem with my new Cessna 182. I just bought it a few days ago and after putting it together, I tested out the motor. It seems to cut out whenever the throttle is at 100%!

I know there is a feature that will disable the motor if the battery is low, but I am running on a brand new battery that I just charged for the recommended 4 hours. I even tried the second battery that I bought with it, and it does the same thing. It works fine on low throttle and mid throttle, but if I push the stick up all the way, it cuts out (and I can just imagine the plane nose-diving into the ground at that point.)

Any ideas as to what would be causing this? I took some footage of what happens.

Password: cessna

http://www.vimeo.com/458963

Thanks for any advice you have!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:32 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 182 Motor Cuts Out

what type motor brushed or brushless?does the esc get hot at full power,some are thermally protected so they cut out when overheated
Old 12-29-2007, 04:45 PM
rvamx

Thanks for your reply. The motor is a "Speed 480 High Torque 7.2 v." and nothing is getting hot during use. [link=http://parkflyers.com/html/cessna_182.html]Here's[/link] the page I ordered from to help with the specs. I'm stumped, and kind of disappointed since it's brand new. It'll be interesting troubleshooting the problem though. Hopefully one day it'll take to the skies!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Scalenut52

Hi,

Whose Cessna is it? It certainly seems like an overheating problem. The fix may be as easy as replacing the ESC.

Doug
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 PM
rvamx

Hmm after some tinkering, I have found that the motor only cuts out when the propeller is attached! I tested it without the prop and it runs at 100% as long as I want it to. Does anyone know why having the prop attached would cause this problem?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

You are overloading the ESC and it is cutting out. ie.. The current draw from the battery is exceeding the maximum current the ESC can handle. Probably swinging too large a prop. IMHO....
Old 01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
frugalflyer

I had a wrecked Tower hobbies version of the same Cessna 'donated' to me a few days ago. As it didn't have the tx or battery I swapped out the receiver and used a 2 cell lipo and found exactly the same problem you describe.
Though I'm a long time glow flyer, I'm fairly new to electrics so my reasoning may be off. I assumed the motor was pulling a high current and dropping the battery voltage down belw it's BEC cut off value. I saw no sign overheating.
I tried a 3 cell lipo and solved the cutting out - but would it overheat?
I ran it on the bench for 4 mins with a slight wift of 'burning' from the motor, but I was unable to get a finger it to do a temp test.
So encouraged I flew it in the yard for 5 mins and after landing everything was cool.
I assume that you are using the nimh battery that came with the plane and so I would suggest adding an extra cell or two.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
rvamx

Thanks for the info frugalflyer. I may give that a try. I contacted the store that sold me the plane to see if they can send me a replacement ESC. I would think they should be responsible for selling a working product, since it's advertised as "Ready to Fly."