Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

How do I compair electric motors?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

How do I compair electric motors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 AM
BobMaine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I compair electric motors?

One of the planes I am building has a list of motors (on a web page) that pilots have used on that model. They have numbers like 1234/56 or 20 - 20L or something similar. I know some of the numbers describe the physical size of the motor but how does one compare one motor to another quickly and easily? None of them had the name of the motor listed. I suppose you could Google each one and write down the rpms/volt, thrust, recommended prop size, etc. but that could take forever. Is there a chart somewhere that has list of the popular motors, their characteristics, etc.? There has to be an easier way...
Old 05-10-2008, 11:38 PM
jdetray

Default RE: How do I compair electric motors?

Hi Bob -

Each motor manufacturer has its own naming convention, so the model numbers don't provide a useful comparison. One of the largest lists of motors I know about is [link=http://www.flyingmodels.org/index_en.htm]The Great Electric Motor Test[/link]. Unfortunately, this covers only brand name motors and does not even attempt to cover the hundreds of low-cost Asian imports that are now available.

Perhaps someone knows of a better list.

- Jeff
Old 05-11-2008, 05:56 AM
BobMaine

Wow, that is quite a list. It does give one a better idea of motor specifications tho. Right now the "choose the right motor" system seems to be to ask someone for a recommendation and they usually say, "Well, I used this motor and prop on my XYZ and they are about the same size so it should work on yours." Or the manufacturer will recommend a motor and it is usually one they sell....

Thanks Jeff.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
jdetray

If you know the specs of a motor recommended for your plane - such as kV, watts, maximum current, maxmum voltage, physical size, etc. - you can check the specs of other motors to find those that are a reasonable match. The factors you can't always match are quality and reliability, because these are often unknown with off-brand motors.

The "ask others" approach is often a good one. If your plane is a popular one, you'll get plenty of advice!

- Jeff