Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Newbie pilot needing suggestions for an e-trainer

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie pilot needing suggestions for an e-trainer

Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 PM
flatout->

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie pilot needing suggestions for an e-trainer

Hi fellas/ladies, I'm looking for a change from r/c cars and would like to go 3D[8D]and fully acrobatic , buts thats a long way off, I'm a complete newb to planes and I'm looking to buy an electric plane to learn to fly with. I am not quite sure weather to start with a 2, 3 or 4 channel setup, and I would appreciate some suggestions on the type of design which would be suited to learn with. So far I have seen a couple of rtf models that maybe ok, what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...1644e6fef6c0c8

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...lleryImage=5#G
Old 05-17-2008, 02:05 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie pilot needing suggestions for an e-trainer

That plane you are looking at is not very good at all. You need to get a hobby zone super cub. Trainer. That is you best bet to start with that plane. The one you are looking at as no controll just the motors do the turning for you . You know it slows one down and speeds up the other one to make a turn. No rudder or any controll only power. So look into getting a good trainer it is worth it the cub goes for 100 bucks here in the states. You will be a much happy flyer if you start out with something that can fly right.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:28 PM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: giddyuperic

That plane you are looking at is not very good at all. You need to get a hobby zone super cub. Trainer. That is you best bet to start with that plane. The one you are looking at as no controll just the motors do the turning for you . You know it slows one down and speeds up the other one to make a turn. No rudder or any controll only power. So look into getting a good trainer it is worth it the cub goes for 100 bucks here in the states. You will be a much happy flyer if you start out with something that can fly right.

Fair enough, what's your opinion on the parkflight cessna in the bottom link?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
tam popo

Flatout - Giddyuperic is spot on with his post, don't touch that plane or anything like it with a barge pole!!! The PZ SuperCub is great and ready to go, spares are plentiful in the Uk, it flies well and it has street cred
The Cessna is good but I don't know how good, but there is a thread on RCU dedicated to it so do a search and ask the guys there, some are in the UK (Solostu is one).
Search out your LHS (local hobby shop) and see what they stock, but you can buy on-line from a number of reputable dealers (BRC Hobbies, Als Hobbies, Sussex Models, modelmaniacs) - these are just a few and I have no preference although I've bought from them all.
If you join a club there are fees, tuition and flying buddies. But they require you to have a decent radio system and plane to join/fly. You will need to pass a proficiency test to go solo. I will not join a club for personal reasons.
Whatever plane you fncy or buy ty to avoid the following: Warbirds, 3D Profiles, E-bay cheapos with no reputation, and EDF's.
You should be looking at: High-wing trainers, light planes with good motors and a decent TX/RX, good spares availability and a well-known manufcturer.

And my personal recommendation - The Multiplex EasyStar. 54in. wingspan, 400 brushed motor (stock), toughest foam made (Elapor), great gliding - put in a brushless and its a rocket. A little building and you can be flying for one hundred pounds, you then a need a decent TX/rx.

Lots of advice here, just ask, and these are my peronal views. If you disagree - see my Lawyer!!!!!!!!!!![>:]
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
flatout->

Tam, the cessna is of a particular interest to me because it comes with a free sim- which I think could prove to be invaluable, especially to a newb pilot like myself. However, if I do buy a plane without a sim, it would have to be a cheapo rig as it would probably end up in many pieces as would be learning to fly it for real as opposed to a sim. Do you know of any other good rtf trainers available in the UK that come with a sim?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:23 PM
tam popo

Flatout - sorry, I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean there isn't any!!! I use the cheapo Reality Craft sim, its Ok but basic - and it will teach you the basics. pric is aroung 20 pounds in the Uk (my pound sign isn't working!!!!).
OK - here's the deal. I will send you a new realityCraft set in the original bo with the CD and the log-in key info for nothing - zilch. No strings attached and I'll pay the postage. The catch: on one of the threads I use (the Badius thread) they have a pass-it-on mentality, if anyone needs help they help. That goes for spares and info. They have free raffles etc for those that are regulars. One or two of them have given me planes free, sent from USA and Japan!!!! Well, its my turn now, so if you want you can have it, but help othernewbies in the future, and thats it. Just say and its on its way, but I'll need an address to send it to. If you are under 16 I'll need your Mom or dads permission.
It has the TX, lead, disc with about 7 planes on it from Spitfire to 2 leccy trainers, and all the instructions are there.
PM me if you want it......byeeee.......
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
tam popo

Flatout - here's a thread for Cessna, but its not the one you've seen, but just ask the guys what they think of yours, some are in the UK, Rochdale, Hull etc.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21...tm.htm#2199644
Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 AM
flatout->

ok will do, thanks