Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

WD Sportster upgrade - opinions please

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

WD Sportster upgrade - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
BrentL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WD Sportster upgrade - opinions please

Hi.

I'm upgrading my WD Sportster to brushless. To keep the budget within reason for the plane and use as much existing equipment as I can, I'm going with a TowerPro 2408-21 outrunner, a TowerPro W25A ESC and my existing Tx, Rx and 3S 2200 lipo. I put everything into Motocalc, and it seems I'll get the best results with a 7x4 prop.

I've looked around the forum a bit, and noticed that a lot of people go with a 7x6 prop, but the numbers come out poorer in Motocalc with this setup. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing here?

Another question (and please forgive the unadulterated newbie-ness), but I have a JR Quattro transmitter and reciever bought for a nitro model which I haven't completed yet. The Rx comes with its own power supply, but if I decided to use it in the WD for the extra range, would the ESC automatically provide power through the throttle channel, or would I cook something and have to buy a new one.

Also, just for interest sake, I've rebuilt the entire tail section out of balsa, and it appears to have made the plane more stable. Perhaps because there's much less flex in balsa than in the stock foam components.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 AM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WD Sportster upgrade - opinions please

Brent I run a handfull of planes with the same motor your going to use and I have found the 7X4 is the best prop for it, it gives the best of both thrust and speed
you will gain a bit of speed with the 7X6 but at a cost, you will be taxing your motor/batt more and loose a bit of you low end thrust as well as lower flight time
just my 2 cents