Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird guts

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 01:58 AM
MD2020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird guts

though I would use the wind for lift, so wouldn,t need the motor & could use a lighter battery pack. Have an elevon for up, dn, L, R control. Attach the line at the CG, so it wouldn't pull the nose down at higher altitude. Loops would be tough! On second thought I could use the motor to drive the winch to pull it back down :-). I might not ever get it out of my head & into the air.
I kind of like the boat idea too.

Mike D.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:00 AM
MD2020

Default Aerobird guts

sorry for the second post. I didn't see it go through.

Mike
Old 07-29-2003, 07:43 AM
eflyer2

Default Aerobird guts

Let it go, get a piece of blueCor foam and build a stick plane, total cost inc. DX-A speed 180 motor= $10.00,
Cost of electronics- 2amp esc= $14.00, receiver= $20.00, servos= $9.00 ea., thats a grand total of $65.00 for the finished plane, you can get a basic 4 channel Quatro transmitter for $40,00, thats within the reach of most people, now, where do you want to spend your valuable time, working on a new plane with replaceable parts or on some wild project useing parts that can't be replaced if they do go bad.

eflyer
Old 07-29-2003, 06:33 PM
PHIL I.

Default MIND'S A GONNER!!

It' workin overtime....what hair I got is smokin.....I'll figuere somethin out....When I do, I'll let you'all have it.............hehe....
PHIL I.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:15 PM
eflyer2

Default Aerobird guts

Phil,

Let me know if I can help.

The main point is that you'er having FUN !

Eflyer
Old 07-31-2003, 12:30 AM
PHIL I.

Default HEY-------

At my age......If it ain't fun.....I don't do it.....Except for the WORLD NECESITIES..................

I remember Bob Hope with hair....on the back of that camel singin....hehehe

PHIL I.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:35 AM
eflyer2

Default Aerobird guts

Phil,

Do you remember when there was no TV and everybody in the family would gather around the radio after supper and listen to the comics of the time tell their jokes, or listening to the dramas of the day like Innersanktum and Gangbusters and the like.
Or you could go to the movies on saturday afternoons and watch two features and cartoons and at itermission they would giveaway stuff like dishes and bikes and other stuff, air raids wee fun around here because they would drop small bags of flour out of planes, never did find out if it was for practice our to keep us off the street during the air raid period.
Don't get me started on what it was like back then or you will never get me turned off.

The best, there was a small dirt runway airport about two miles from our house and they flew pipercubs and tripacers and a couple of biplanes out of there and if you hung around there on weekends the owner would take you up nowand then, that was fun.

See ya,
Old 07-31-2003, 09:30 PM
PHIL I.

Default ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS..............

I remember the first one....A HUGE console---------and a 9 in (I think) black & white TV that was more round than square....and LOTS of snow......Untill Mom touched the rabbit ears.......She was the best, but the standing time was VERY short........ The 2nd was huge too. Made out of REAL rose wood with closing doors! We changed thei nsides so many times. My brother still has it with a new RCA in it!
NO.... I ROAD A BICYCLE TO SCHOOL....DAD HAD TO WALK..
and we were lucky.Not much snow in west Texas......
ol' frt,
PHIL I.
It's amasing what you remember..........
EFLYER---Thanks my friend...
Old 07-31-2003, 10:13 PM
eflyer2

Default Aerobird guts

Phil,

You're right about that, thats why I said " don't get me started about the good old days", we would both get thrown off the forum for getting off the subject of flying R/C, but at times it's scarey, because you can remember back thirty ~ fourty even fifty or more years with such clarity that if you close your eyes you can hear the voices of your past and smell the hamburgers from the local drive-in or the smoke from your tires when you "peeled out", but for the life of you, when you get to the store you can't remember what you wanted to buy.

Getting old ain't what it's cracked up to be, but then again the alternative really sucks.

Keep 'em in the air,

eflyer
Old 08-01-2003, 02:07 AM
PHIL I.

Default OK......

Galloping Ghosts, 10 channel reed system--One of the first proportional systems---FM..Kraft...I HATED THAT reed system...PAIN in the @##@.....
We had a big flyin in El Paso, Tex. in the mid 60's....We had a rep from FM and he had a pattern ship. Can't remember which one..What I do remember was the buzzard that was soaring off the mountain that came over to see what all those little noisy things invading his sky were! They got into a roaring flying contest that lasted,maybe 5 min, they dive bombed each other both dodging till with major flapping, the buzzard said byby.Going into the low clouds.The only time I saw a spin that lasted close to 30 seconds.He guy even admitted he couldn't really tell the attitude of the plane at times.

OK..OK..I'll go to my room now.....
PHIL I.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:46 PM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

Default I have four Planes

Two are Aerobirds. I fly them most the time and have a blast!
I keep 2 going at the flying field everytime I go. I have added weight to my wing and slowed the plane down and I am having a lot of fun with it. It is a little honey 10177RPMs I put the light wing on supported with filament tape and can dive without my wing shearing off! Here is a picture of my two in my travel box at my club in CT.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105005_44082.gif
Views:	20
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	45913  
Old 08-27-2003, 02:31 AM
Procrastinator
My Feedback: (1)

Default good ol' Aerobird

Check out my website, "RC plane crash club" for more info on the Aerobird. We try all kinds of crazy modifactions. Also I have a free FMS flight sim link!

http://groups.msn.com/HobbyzoneRCPl...hClubunofficial
Old 08-27-2003, 07:25 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Aerobird guts

Procrastinator

Check the link. MSN can't find the page.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Procrastinator

Default Aerobird guts

Sorry about that, this should work.

http://groups.msn.com/HobbyzoneRCPla...Clubunofficial

It is also listed as my home page.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:26 PM
secretspy

Default RE: Aerobird guts

I crashed my aerobird long ago, and I tried pulling out the servo parts and using those, but all i got was a sort of mini-winch. I'll probably use the motor for something. Anyway, I bought a receiver from the T-Hawk (readytoflyfun.com) on the same freq as my aerobird transmitter, but it doesnt work. The servo jitters until I turn the radio on, then nothing, even when I move the sticks. What's wrong here? Could it be a single/dual conversion conflict? What type is the aeribird transmitter? If I can't get it to work, I'll take it over to the local hobby shop and see if they can figure out the problem, sincs I don't have any other 27MHz stuff to test it with.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Procrastinator

Default RE: Aerobird guts

I think the Aerobird is FM only, and the T-hawk has both AM and FM optional radio equipment.
ALSO some BRANDS just do not work with each other. THAT SUCKS, but is true. Even with the right crystal, my GWS receiver would not work with my JR transmitter[:@].
Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
aeajr

Default RE: HEY-------

The Aerobird is FM 27 MHZ. The receiver is propriatry.

Hobby zone does not sell the Aerobird radio to be use with anything but he aerobird electronics. You might get it to work with a 27 MHZ FM radio, but I have no idea if it is positive/negative shift or if that even applies.

If you want to put a new receiver in the Aerobird you will need a radio to go with it and servos and a speed control, Remove the control board and put in all standard equipment.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:17 PM
secretspy

well i didnt exactly want to refurbish the aerobird, but just have the equipment for a custom built indoor flyer. I read something from a balsaproducts.com company policy paper that in order for a single conversion receiver to work with a given transmitter, you need a crystal that's +455kc (kc = kilocycles = kHz ???) above the transmitter crystal....at least thats what it was for the 72MHz range......so is it possible to get a 27.600 MHz crystal? (27.145 + .455 = 27.600) If anyone knows about the "conversion" status of either the aerobird or t-hawk parts, since they tell you absolutley nothing on the site, I would still like to know...
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 PM
aeajr

Hobby Zone does not support or sell the Aerobird to be used with anything other than the Aerobird radio and integrated electroncis, so why would they post anything like that.

T-Hawk uses standard equipment for flying a T-Hawk. There is not reason to believe it will work with an Aerobird radio.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:45 PM
secretspy

Well I think there is. The transmitter says it's 27.145 MHz. So, one would (or I would) think that it should work with a 27.145 MHz receiver, yes? What I'm saying is, if i can figure out if the receiver should be shifted or whatnot, is there a chance that it could work? I feel like if I don't use this tx for something, it's a waste.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:43 AM
aeajr

There is a chance. Certainly! Is it worth the effort? I don't think so. The Aerobird radio sells for $24 new. As part of the package it is probably worth about $15.

I don't consider that worth buying receivers that may or may not work with it to try and recover the value in the radio.

For $39 you can get a three channel Hitec radio (upgradable ot 4 channels) or for with receiver and battery pack frame on 72 mhz.

For $35 you can get a four channel GWS FM 72 MHZ radio

For $105 you can get the GWS radio, receiver, servos, speed control and battery.

There is not $$ value in trying to use the Aerobird radio on another plane, or with another receiver. It was never intended for that purpose.

Now, if you just like to take on a challenge, that is different. Have at it!
Old 02-14-2004, 07:34 AM
jatoo

has anyone tried the other way around and put standard radio gear into and empty aerobird?
Old 02-14-2004, 08:59 AM
aeajr

Try this links for standard gear in the bird:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Scroll about 1/2 way down the first page for the post with the Firbird XL (same body) converted to satandard components.