Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question- What to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie Question- What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
spursrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question- What to buy?

Hello I am thinking about getting an electric plane. I have never flown one before and i was just wondering what ones would be good beginner ones for me. I don't want to spend too much either.

Thanks everyone for your advice!!!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 PM
traxxboy

Default RE: Newbie Question- What to buy?

Try the hobbyzone supercub. Or the parkzone slo-v. The slo-v is real gentle and you can recover from a stall at about five feet and be fine. The gws slo-stick is supposed be easy to fly but I have never flown it.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:40 PM
nickrevo

i would go with the hobby zone super cub. this is my first plane and it is very easy to learn how to fly on it. plus it actually looks like a real plane unlike the other trainers. also it can handle alot of begginner damage with easy fixes. it is an awsome first plane and i would recommend it to all begginners!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
cjg

Hobbyzone SuperCub was my first airplane. Never flew one before. I have no regrets, it is a great trainer.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Leo L

The two best beginner planes are the HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar. Other decent planes, but not quite as good, are the Aerobird3, T-hawk, SloStick and Slow-V. Another step down, but much cheaper, is the SkyFly.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: spursrock

Hello I am thinking about getting an electric plane. I have never flown one before and i was just wondering what ones would be good beginner ones for me. I don't want to spend too much either.

I would seriously consider Fisher's(Avatar attach) MiniXPV suggestion as one of the most worthwhile enjoyable $30 you'll ever spend.

"So I go out an buy another XPV Mini and give it to this 70 year old guy who just bought a $100,000 dollar Audi Sports car (the one they advertised during the Super Bowl).

I get a call from him the other day and he is talking about how cool his new car is. He presses a button on the dash and the headers open up and the whole car lowers for sport mode etc....... Once he is done telling me all about how wicked cool his car is and how much he likes it he gets a bit sheepish and tells me that he has just as much fun flying the $14 XPV Mini I gave him as he does driving his car.

Now that is some recommendation. I have purchased 6 of these things and they all fly great.

Everyone should own one.

My son and I got a chance to fly our XPV Mini s inside a medium sized gym the other day. What a hoot. This is the first plane I have owned that could be easily flown inside a gym. Between the two of us we covered most of the air space, let several other people learn to fly and then chased each other around for a while, all on a single charge.

You have to grab one of these planes next time they go on sale for under $20! Even at the regular price around $30 they are a real good deal.

Cheers!

Well over 100 flights with the Mini XPV and still loving it. Everyone needs one of these.

I have taught several people to fly with this plane. It is very capable for a two channel under $30 model. Can even handle wind. I could not be happier with it. Unlike the AAs[AeroAces] I have purchased in the past this thing is indestructible. The stock AA[AeroAce] is useless in anything but calm conditions. The range on the TX (49 mhz) is great as well. I can fly it out so far that I cannot tell orientation very well. When a new pilot starts flying they are usually so worried about crashing the plane that they do not have much fun. With this thing I just tell them that crashing is no big deal as long as it is not into water or on a roof/tree. Usually they are hand launching on their own and able to return it into their own hads on one charge. That is a lot of learning for one flight session. I give this plane (if you do not get a lemon) 5 of 5 stars for value and performance."

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11442.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	968274  
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 AM
phillipmorris

Not bad advice at all, my first re-entry into RC was the Airhogs Aero Ace, several types now loved the Bi-plane (2 wings), many of these toy models gives confidence and will help on the orientation of flying, not over the surface as the regular larger RC planes but is a fun starter and won't break the bank...top flyers already mentioned agree on most and the Super Cub was my favored, later found the famed Easy Star beauty of a glider and 30 minute flight times certainly increase the joys of flying...if possible find an experienced pilot as will have things intrim, makes a world of difference for success..BEST..<>..

Super Cub, Night Flights
Strykers B, C
Parkzone Spitz
Multiplex Easy Star Glider
Parkzone Trojan T-28
Indoor, Ember and Vapor, super indoor flyers, also outside w/no winds
Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
plane phanatic

As already mentioned, the hobbyzone supercub is probably one of the best planes for a beginner. It is a great trainer.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
SPORT_FLYER

Have you ever flown a gas plane before? If you have I recomend the parkzone t-28 but if you havent i recomend the hobbyzone supercub.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
twizler

I am transitioning into the intermediate level. I learned on a firebird freedom and that was a bit intense [:@]. I don't think it's that bad of a plane but it is far from being a great plane, especially for a beginner. My number one recommendation for a first plane is theMultiplex Easystar. It's a great plane: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm Once you feel comfortable with it there are many mods and hop-ups as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
teamgs

I wouldn't worry too much about replying to this thread as the original poster hasn't answered back in almost two months since the original post. Only 5 posts total, so I think they have moved on to another forum.

BTW, I would vote for the Easy Star. High mounted pusher prop keeps it out of harms way, and the elapor is very tough. It can also belly land if you don't have a landing strip. I still fly mine.

Regards,

Gary