Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

E-flite Apprentice 15e RTF w/DX5e Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

E-flite Apprentice 15e RTF w/DX5e Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
UncleFesterESQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-flite Apprentice 15e RTF w/DX5e Radio

Sounds good. (There may be a pun in there... but I'm not 100% sure on quality)

Wind and Rain in SoCal this weekend. Hopefully tomorrow we'll be taking flight!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 PM
UncleFesterESQ

Got my baby all put together and singing with the high-pitched hum as well. As long as she flies wonerfully, she can sing all she wants. Unfortunately, here in SoCal we have something that is a bit unusual, steady winds 20-30 mph. Tomorrow is the same, but Thursday looks like a break!!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
MN Seminole

Good luck. I was out Saturday and the wind was 8-14 mph (according to weather bug on my Blackberry). When landing, Icut the motor and let it floatdown tothe ground but it wouldn't land.There was enough wind to keep floating about 10 ft off the ground. We finally got down safely and called it a day. Best not to push things when the conditions are above your skill level.

Have fun.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
MN Seminole

Well I have flown the Apprentice for a few months now and I still think its a great plane. My 12 year old son moved from the Super Cub to the Apprentice and landed it perfectly the first time. We have since added the Parkzone Corsair and Mustangs to the hangar but Istill love bringing out that huge Apprentice.
Its just a cool plane. Always get a few folks who stop to watch and lots of questions.

Been thinking of adding flaps to it...really no reason other than I saw someone with them on their T-28 and thought it was cool. May not need them since the plane floats to well anyway. If you have them, let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
fmw

Thanks for the review.  I solo'ed on the Apprentice.  I have since powered it up a little and enjoy doing aerobatics with it.  I consider it one of the best trainers on the market - ailerons for better control, a wing that simply won't do anything bad when it stalls, enough dihedral to keep a beginner out of trouble but not so muchthat  you can't do a barrel roll, plenty of power to help get out of trouble.  Outstanding plane in every respect. - well, the wheels could be a little bigger for those of us who deal with grass runways.  And, of course, the plastic motor is junk (but powerfull) but that's true of virtually any RTF).   
Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
fmw

ORIGINAL: MN Seminole

Good luck. I was out Saturday and the wind was 8-14 mph (according to weather bug on my Blackberry). When landing, Icut the motor and let it floatdown tothe ground but it wouldn't land.There was enough wind to keep floating about 10 ft off the ground. We finally got down safely and called it a day. Best not to push things when the conditions are above your skill level.

Have fun.
I took mine out the other day in 15 mph winds with gusts to 25. I went just to see how some of my planes dealt with a tough wind. The Apprentice handled itself nicely. Any model is a handful in those kinds of winds but the Apprentice handled it as well as any.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
fmw

Well I have flown the Apprentice for a few months now and I still think its a great plane. My 12 year old son moved from the Super Cub to the Apprentice and landed it perfectly the first time. We have since added the Parkzone Corsair and Mustangs to the hangar but Istill love bringing out that huge Apprentice.
Its just a cool plane. Always get a few folks who stop to watch and lots of questions.

Been thinking of adding flaps to it...really no reason other than I saw someone with them on their T-28 and thought it was cool. May not need them since the plane floats to well anyway. If you have them, let me know what you think.

Thanks
The apprentice has a separate servo for each aileron. So you can plug each into a separate receiver channel and program in flaperons. I did that with mine but, truthfully, I never use the flaps. It lands as sweet as a plumb dead stick and (now that I have an E-Flite Power 25 driving it) it takes off in just a couple feet. But the flaperon mix is certainly an option.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM
MN Seminole

ORIGINAL: fmw

Thanks
The apprentice has a separate servo for each aileron. So you can plug each into a separate receiver channel and program in flaperons. I did that with mine but, truthfully, I never use the flaps. It lands as sweet as a plumb dead stick and (now that I have an E-Flite Power 25 driving it) it takes off in just a couple feet. But the flaperon mix is certainly an option.
Thanks for the info. I probably won' t put them on the Apprentice. You're right that its a nice floater on its own. Maybe on my PZ P-51. This modification bug could get me in trouble. ha ha