Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Going Electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM
dschmid37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Electric

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Due to noise complaints from neighbors of our club, I've decided to give larger scale electrics a go. I'm not a complete newbie to flying electric, I have 2 Strykers (one brushed, one with the BP21 brushless setup), and also a GWS foam Corsair running the same brushless motor, the BP21 from Balsa Products.
This is the airplane I just ordered with the intent of going electric....

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123761.asp

Specifications:
Wing Span: 66 Inches
Wing Area: 872 Square Inches
Length: 55 Inches
Weight RTF: 6 - 6.75 Pounds
Functions: Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder and Throttle
Power: .61 - 1.08 2-Stroke or .91 - 1.20 4-stroke
Radio: 4 Channel w/4 Standard Servos

My immediate concern is the motor. From this forum, I've decided to try the Monster Power Brushless motors, and want to know if the 60 size will be enough or should I go with the Monster Power 110? This is not a 3D airframe. I'm just looking for good performance and 10 -15 minute run times. Is there any disadvantage to going bigger besides weight?

Also is 6 LIPO cells going to be enough or should I go 8?
I purchased the MOTO Calc program recently and am still poking around trying to figure it out. It's kind of overwelming with it's 240 different possible setups for this plane! YIKES!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

www.lapeerwingnuts.com
Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Going Electric

Dan,
A 60 would be adequet for this bird, it would fly it, but if you want to do anything acrobatic wise, you'd be pushing it.

For example I have the Hangar 9 P40, similar size and such to your bird. It's runs an EFlite 60, on 6 cells, spinning a 14x13x3 prop, it's a great sport flyer. It won't hover though, LOL

I'm not familure with the M/P motors, so I really can't tell you about them.
But if they are using similar specs like the EFlite motors, I run a 110 in a 120 scale Corsair, something like 7+foot wingspan.

It is a rocket on 9 cells.

Just did a little checking on MotoCalc, an Eflite 60,(400kv) on 6 cells, spinning a 16 x8 prop, would be approx 42 amp draw, produce around 8+ pounds of thrust, and a prop speed around 50 mph.

I know these readings are pretty darn close, I use this set up in My Hangar 9 Camel, and just installed it in my new DR1.

You could play with prop sizes and pitches to drop the thrust down and/or raise the speed.
Or even reduce the amp draw and raise the flight times.

You know what, check your PM's.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know anything about the motor you mention and you posted no links or specs.

Just like in glow, not all 60 motors are equal and not all electric motors that carry 60 labels are equal.

The first thing you want to look at is watts and watts per pound. For good sport flying you want to use a brushless motor that wll provide at least 75 watts per pound, and most glow flyers are used to very over powered planes, so 100 watts per pound would be even better.

So, for a 7 pound plane, you would be looking for a brushless motor that can handle at least 700 watts. This is only the starting point as you then need to match up a battery and prop that gives you the right balance of speed and thrust.

Is your motor a 700 watt motor?

In round numbers, a 6S lipo pack is about 22 V. In order to hit 700 watts you will need a pack that can handle about 32 amps. And in order to get about 15 minutes flying time you will need about a 9000 Mah pack at that draw, assuming full throttle for the full flight. If you are flying less than wide open most of the time, maybe a 7000 mah pack would get the job done.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
dschmid37

Thanks for the replys !!

This is what I ended up with...
Motor = Turnigy SK 5055-580 1580 watts 580 kv
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH..._580Kv_/_1580w

ESC = Turnigy 80 amp
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...eed_Controller

Batts = (2) Rhino 4900mAh 3s 20c in series
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...0C_Lipoly_Pack

My Motocalc program doesn't offer too many prop sizes with this set-up. I bought a 12 x 6 APC. Maybe I should have bought a lower kv rated motor?
This was my first time with Motocalc, and I was very confused! I hope this will work for me. I won't be running this thing until after Christmas when I get my Watts meter!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
aeajr

We look forward to a flight report
Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll likely need a bigger prop. Probably in the 14 in. range. Prop it for the upper watt limit using a wattmeter. Otherwise looks great.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
dschmid37

Well, I've got an APC 12 x 8 E on it and the watts meter says 1530 watts at 62 max amps.
I don't think I'll go any bigger.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
aeajr

Try both props and let us know how they work in the air.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
dschmid37

We'll do.
But it won't be happening until the snow melts : (