Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

New to planes - Want to learn something new

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New to planes - Want to learn something new

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Metallover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to planes - Want to learn something new

I am an avid rc car entusiest, and Iknow my way around rc gear. Ido a lot of brushless stuff. I've got a brushless e-revo with a medusa and mamba max along with a outrunner crt .5 conversion and a tiny lil micro t. I run lipos in everything. I have had a nitro kit, but I didn't like it and I won't own another nitro kit.

Iwatched some videos from ******** on youtube and I'm impressed and intrigued on how the planes fly. Ilike all the experimentation involved. I want to look into getting a plane. I would want a brushless kit, and I would like to get some of the stuff off of hobbycity. I can always get a kit and upgrade it too I guess...

What are some beginner kit recommendations? I don't plan on owning more then 1plane, so I would like for it to be able to teach me how to fly and be able to be fun after I get the hang of it. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 PM
speedy72vega

Default RE: New to planes - Want to learn something new

Hey metallover, congrats for deciding to give planes a try. I think you'll love it, as long as you start out the right way. I would seriously recommend you find a local flying club and set up an appointment with a club trainer. They will most likely even have a club trainer plane that you can learn on.
For a first plane, you definitely need to start with a high wing trainer type plane, even if it isn't exactly the most sporty looking plane. A good trainer will allow you to learn the basics of flight with the lowest chance for failure. I wouldn't look to Hobby City for a plane though, the shipping to US is usually more than the plane.
Nitro Planes or Tower hobbies would probably be your best bet, if you can actually find a plane in stock. That way you can use UPSground, the least expensive.
A trainer type plane usually has forgiving flight characteristics, and there's less chance of crashing it while you're learning.
Already knowing something about RC is definitely a plus, but there's a completely different learning curve with flight. As far as only planning on having1 plane, GOODLUCK with that, it's very addicting
Welcome to the hobby, and if you have any questions, or need advice, ask away. Plenty of people here willing to help.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Metallover

Is it normal to be able to fly a flight sim at the hobby shop after 10 minutes?  I just remembered I had a blade mcx helicopter that I got pretty good at flying.  I'll go into my lhs and talk to the owner about it.  Maybe he can give me some tips and recommendations.  

If I bought a plane it would be at my lhs, but if I bought any brushless stuff or lipos it would be from hobbycity probably.  I'm very happy with my zippy and my rhino.

How big of a plane should I start with?   How big of a battery would it take?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:27 AM
speedy72vega

The best size trainer to start with would definitely be a .40 or .46 size bird. You would need somewhere around a 600 or 700 watt outrunner, probably a 4S LiPo, 3000-4000mah 20-30C pack.
One word about Hobby City motors, I have had not so good luck with Turnigy motors. I've never tried their ESC's, but the very first motor I bought threw the magnets off during testing. I'm still waiting for my warranty replacement. It was a 50-65B 340 large outrunner.
One alternative is to look at Rimfire motors by Electrifly. Very reasonably priced, very good quality. Their ESC's are very good too, but not the cheapest on the market.
I totally agree with you about the Zippy's and Rhino's though, i've had very good experiences with them so far.
As far as the simulator goes, they're a very good way to get the feeling for the controls, and to learn basic orientation, but it's a whole different ball game when flying for real. You don't lose 300-500 bucks every time you crash on the sim, landing is even harder. I would definitely recommend a sim for practicing, but please contact an experienced trainer to help you with your first few flights.
I'm not saying it's impossible to learn without a trainer, as i'm a completely self taught pilot, I never even used a simulator, but your success rate will be much higher with a trainer.
Istarted flying an MCX too, Ilove my little copter. i also have a CX2 and a Blade 400. The sim helped tremendously with the 400. I thought Ihad it made, because I could fly the crap outa the MCX and CX2, but the 400 went down hard on all 3 of it's first flights. I went and got the FS one sim, and after practicing on it for a few weeks, was able to hover my 400 right away.
Your LHS should be able to set you up with a decent trainer package, I would recommend buying a good radio right from the start though. If you decide to stay with flying for any length of time, you will be glad you got a good radio. I use a Spektrum DX6i, it's computerized, and can store up to 10 aircraft, including helis. (You can even bind the MCXto it)The DX7 is an even better radio, but more expensive.
Good luck with your new hobby, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I have had good luck with the Turnigy motors (at least the small to medium ones I have not tried the big stuff yet.) If you want to order a plane from HC get the balsa Decathalon 48" wingspan. Set it up as recommended Then get with a local plane club and let them test fly it and teach you how to fly YOUR plane on a buddy box. You can learn in less than a week if you can get with someone who will work with you daily if your schedule will allow it. That plane can be docile enough to learn on then you change the settings (Increase throws and change prop) and you have a very aerobatic and fun plane. Then if you get really brave you can get a set of floats and fly off water (or snow). The Turnigy ESC's are very good they work good and very reliable.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Metallover
...I don't plan on owning more then 1plane...
Good luck with that plan! I don't know anyone in this hobby with only one plane.

Besides the addiction that most of us get, wanting to buy different types of planes, etc., a plane that you can learn to fly on is not going to be a plane that will give you some thrills a year or two later. Most of us end up destroying our very first plane. The guys that don't crash their trainer usually sell it, retire it, or maybe keep it around to help train others.

I know you're not considering nitro based on your car experience, but my experience has been that tuning and running nitro RC airplane engines is much easier than tuning and running nitro RC car engines. So if you want to start out with a nitro trainer, you should have an easier time with it than a nitro car.

Brushless electric planes are great though, and I've been flying more electrics than nitros lately, just out of convenience (no cleanup, no starting & fueling gear needed, etc.). Take a look at the electric planes on Horizon's website. The Apprentice would be a good starter plane for you if you a want brushless/LiPo power system.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Metallover

What about the wild hawk? It's a cheap chinese plane, but it looks pretty good for a starter plane. I saw it on some ******** youtube stuff. I could upgrade the electronics in the future. What do you guys think of ********, that plane, and

http://www.nitroplanes.com/rtfwiha54el3.html