Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Need a little assitance with my first purchase Edit (Now a diary of my attempt to fly)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Need a little assitance with my first purchase Edit (Now a diary of my attempt to fly)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Bonza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little assitance with my first purchase Edit (Now a diary of my attempt to fly)

Hi,

I've been working in the far east ime zone the last couple of years and have been pretty bored in the mornings after work. R/C planes seemed like it might be fun and was always something I wanted to do as a kid, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've done quite a bit of reading online over the last few days and am ready to order my first planes and was hoping to have someone look over my order and let me know if I am missing anything.

First plane: http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Hobb..._p/hbz7300.htm

Now, I know I am supposed to join a club, and do plan on it. However, I am the do it yourself and fail first type of person. With that said, the Super Cub seemed like a solid entry level trainer. 3 channel,stable and foam.I expect to crash this my first time out without getting it into the air. Anything over and above taking off is all a bonus to me.

I reckon I should order some spare parts to go with it and would appreciate a list of what I will probably wreck in the first few days. I'd imagine 2-3 spare props would be a good place to start. I reckon some extra batteries, and a voltage checker would also be a good idea. Any recommendations for a voltage checker? Also, would ordering more of the stock batteries be fine or should order something more substantial? What else would you recommend?

Second Plane: http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E_Fl..._p/efl2725.htm

I chose this one for my training with the club trainer. No fuss electric, sturdy foam body, 2.5 Ghz transmittor, brushless engine, lipo batteries, etc. Solid enough choice or would you go with something else? I assume there won't be a lot of crashes with a trainer, however, I figure extra batteries are a good idea. I was going to order 3 more of the stock ones, but once again, would I be better off with another type of battery?

Thanks for any assistance, and yes, I will be ordering a simulator as well. :-)
Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need a little assitance with my first purchase Edit (Now a diary of my attempt to fly)

On the Super Cub, also buy a couple of extra cowlings. Rich
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Sir Raleigh

Default RE: Need a little assitance with my first purchase Edit (Now a diary of my attempt to fly)

And props.

The Super Cub is a fantastic trainer.

Bill
Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
justlift

Just my two cent worth. Props are the most thing that you well need and after you get to flying it you well not need them. the super cub is a eyes flyer just on your maidens fly just make shear the wind is not blowing. turn the act system off and hand launch it after you get it in the air trim it out and turn the act system on if you fell like you need it. Great flying plane

Now on the super cub it has got a bat cut off so the bat well not get drained to low so kept a eye on the fly time when it cut the power to the motor it cuts the power. It all dispense on your throttle management at half throttle it well stay in the air for about 8 minuets with no problem. Good luck a great starter plane

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
richg99

Oh yea...I'd buy one or two prop savers.  ( not prop adapters).  They will save you tons of money and make those nose-over landings less worrisome...Wish I had discovered them before I went through a dozen or so props on my first few planes.  Rich
Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Bonza

Thanks for all the advice!

So I went out and bought the Super Cub today. Turns out, my neighborhood RC store had it for the same price as online.

It was very easy to assemble, took me about 15 minutes. I tested out the controls at home and everything looked good. Battery charged up fully in the same time and I was off for my maiden voyage!

I found an empty field about 10 minutes from my house. I did a range check and checked the controls again.

Attempt #1:

Everything looked good, so I turned on the ACT and hand launched it.......not so good. It turned onto it's suide about 15 feet up in the air and nose dived straight into the ground.

Luckily there was minimal damage. THe cowling was a little broken up, but it otherwise looked fine. I checked the controls and everything looked ok, so I chalked it up to a random gust of wind.

Attempt #2:

Exact same thing happened. The cowling was completely shattered, an arm of one of the struts broke loose and the wing moved over an inch letting the elastic band cut into the wing about an inch.

At this point I decided to ease up and examine the lil fella in detail. I fixed up the eing and made sure it was centered. Nothing I could do about the strut so I left it alone. Then when checking the rudder I noticed that it was wedged all the way to the right. AHA!! It must have been jolted in the car and I never noticed, what a newb! ;-) After some jiggling I got it back to neutral and was ready for my last attempt for the day.

Attempt #3:

I revved her up to full power once again and hand launched........and she TOOK OFF, soaring straight forward and climbing up and then vanishinginto low cloud cover.... Panicing I eased up on the throttle to about 1/3rd power and brought her down and around. I then proceeded to fly for about 10 minutes round and round the field. Height edjustments were great, I could climb and descend at will. Left/right ,ovements were very sluggish. It seemed to take about 5 seconds of jamiing the stick to the side before she started turning. I assume this was the ACT acting up? After about 10 minutes i slowly lined her up upwind and gently reduced power and brought her in for a perfect landing. Success!!!!!

I had a blast! Will definately be going back out tomorrow after hitting up the RC store for a new cowling, strut and prop savers, and with ACT off this time. There is a one inch cut in the wing where the elastic bit in. Super glue ok to fill that in with? The plane was very easy to fly and I will report back on my progress tomorrow. Needless to say, if you are thinking about the Super Cub with no R/C Experience, I highly recommend it.

Oh, while I was at the store I also bumped into one of these lil fellas and got suckered into buying it.

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E_Fl...p/eflh2300.htm

Now this little chopper is loads of fun, and very durable. Smashed it around quite a bit and it doesn't have a mark on it.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Bonza

I have an additonal question for people experienced with the Super Cub.

What manouvers should I be able to do with it? Alist would be apreciated so that I can look for videos on how to do them.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 AM
richg99

Congratulations on your first flight. You did it faster and better than I. 

I suggest you put clear packaging tape on the leading edge of your wings.  It will save some of the cuts and bruises. 

There is ( or was ) a BIG Super Cub only thread here.  Do a search or Google. You will find more than you ever wanted to know about the Super Cub by reading through hundreds of pages from other fliers.  Rich

Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Sir Raleigh

Congratulations on your successful maiden. Great job.

Be very, VERY, careful which super glue you use. The regular type (available almost everywhere) will eat up foam in a heartbeat. You must use the "foam safe" kind (usually found only at hobby shops or on line). If it doesn't say "foam safe", don't use it on foam!

Bill