Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Landing on a Grass Strip

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Landing on a Grass Strip

Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 AM
surf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing on a Grass Strip

I fly my electric from the front yard, plenty of room and land on the front lawn. I have to hand launch as it will not take off front the grass. But, it seems that almost every landing I end up breaking the landing gear and sometimes the prop.

At the field I fly off of grass also (fly glow and gas at the field).

I mowed a strip in the front yard, setting one inch, I have tried Harrier landings which work better but still will break the gear. Any suggestions on how to land on a grass strip?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 AM
wattmeter

Default RE: Landing on a Grass Strip

ORIGINAL: surf

I fly my electric from the front yard, plenty of room and land on the front lawn. I have to hand launch as it will not take off front the grass. But, it seems that almost every landing I end up breaking the landing gear and sometimes the prop.

At the field I fly off of grass also (fly glow and gas at the field).

I mowed a strip in the front yard, setting one inch, I have tried Harrier landings which work better but still will break the gear. Any suggestions on how to land on a grass strip?
What size wheels do you have on it? and what size is your plane? maybe some pics
wattmeter
Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not use landing gear on my foamy. Just add a strip of carbon filber strip along the front of the bottom of the fuse. It works great and helps saving some weight. I figure it probably will work with yours.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Sir Raleigh

A prop saver can help if your plane doesn't have a cowl.

Or, large, thin wheels. At least 3" in diameter. Those that come with the Slow Stick and E-Starter work very well in grass up to about 4" tall.

Cut the motor just before landing so the prop isn't spinning at touchdown.

If you have break off on your ESC then turn it on. That will stop the prop and will also improve you glide ratio.

Bill
Old 09-07-2009, 04:52 PM
surf

The plane is a GP Electricfly SU-31, 41" wingspan. Wheels are small on SU-31 but I had the same problem with a Funtana with bigger wheels.

I guess I'll try the bigger wheels. Good suggestion on cutting the motor. I know it sounds nuts, but what about ski's?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Sir Raleigh

I don't think skis will do very well on grass, too narrow.

You might try floats, though.

Bill
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Leo L

As Sir Raleigh wrote, use big THIN wheels. The ugly (IMHO) GWS wheels work great on grass. If you have a tail dragger, you might want to try placing the main wheels slightly more forward, which reduces the tendency of the plane to nose over and places more force along the axis of the strut. This transfers more direct force to the wing, but reduces the bending force on the strut, which is the force that rips the landing gear off the plane.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 AM
phillipmorris

Ran into one plane recently that is increadible for landing in the grass, abit pricy but awsome, Hanger 9 T34 Mentor, lands in grass with ease and doesn't nose over, with progressive setting, droops and flaps, comes in easy without dropping a wing, its been amazing, my best plane todate...BEST

Some of my favored flyers:

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B
Radian Glider
Hanger 9 T34 Mentor Warbird, beauty..

Parkzone T28 is amazing but I'm horrible on warbird landings, different story with the Mentor, comes in like an airliner !
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM
whitecrest

Yes, the thin, large-diameter GWS wheels work great in grass. They provide a little extra cushioning and have very little drag. Also, it helps to build some flexibility into the landing gear. A well anchored torsion block supporting 1/16" wire can absorb a lot of punishment without tearing out of the fuselage.