Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

flying simulater or airplane fist

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

flying simulater or airplane fist

Old 10-21-2009, 03:34 PM
andrew76
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying simulater or airplane fist

new to airplanes i want to lern to fly the air planes but what do you guys recomend to buy a flying simulater or just get the air plane and lern with it and what plame to you recoment for fist time flying
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 AM
twoslick2

Default RE: flying simulater or airplane fist

I would strongly urge you to get the sim 1st, it will save you money and frustration in long run! Get a sim...........even a cheap one!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 AM
perttime

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sim.
It is never really realistic but helps you with orientation: which stick to move which way when you are looking at the plane from different angles.

Here's a free one
http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

(Version 2.0 Beta 7 seems to run OK on my XP)
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 AM
speedy72vega

Also, when you do decide to fly for the first time, you should try to contact a local flying club, and set up some time with a club trainer. In most cases, they will even have a trainer plane and buddy box setup that they will teach you on. That way, you get some actual hands on flying without the expense of buying a plane. Then you can see if it's what you really want to do. I have seen so many people go out and buy a plane, radio, and all the gear, and go out and try to fly, and either crash, or decide they don't like the hobby (Although I can't imagine anyone NOT liking it ).
The club trainer will work with you, and help you get the right setup when you do decide to get a plane. In most cases, you don't need to be a member for them to set you up with an instructor.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Leo L

For most people the way to go is to get the simulator first. Learn to react to the various situations, particularly when the plane is flying toward you. Learn to land the plane when its flying toward you. Try different types of planes and learn to fly them without crashing. Then buy a QUALITY beginner plane, like the HobbyZone Supercub or Multiplex EasyStar. Don't get hooked into buying a great looking plane or a great price deal from the internet, only to end up having a pile of garbage after 10 seconds of your initial flight.

However, there are some people who did not use the simulator and had great success at flying and others who do not do well on the simulator, yet can fly in the real world quite well. You really need to know your own skills and capabilities. I learned to fly with beginner planes and no instructor with no problem and did not try a simulator until I had been flying for almost 4 years. I just can't get the hang of flying on the simulator, yet in real flying I'm at the expert level.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
andrew76

thanks for you help i'm looking to get the g4.5 or the basic one but i don't know much about computers and don't know if my computer will run it do you guys know i'm also looking to get a laptop mabe you guys can recomen me one for this and i was thiking for the fist plane to would be the j-3 cub from tower hobbies is like $169. rtf
Old 10-23-2009, 06:54 AM
phillipmorris

Thats a nice simulator, played with one as one of our friends recently hooked it up with his laptop, also tho on the low end is the Free FMS, its abit more static but certainly will give orientation skill as needed when the plane is coming towards you things reverse, I've used the FMS and for what it is will help tremendously, is a $25 controller for it and your ready to go, FMS likely to run on the lower level computers easily, but the G4.5 is a top choice, matches characteristics of each model etc...note things change with winds, bad trims, etc in the real world, so have a seasoned pilot as local club if you can, many provide a free trainer for the newcomers...

CAUTION : The J3 Cub looks like a nice opener, we flew a flyzone version at the same price, was 4 channel with high freq transmitter, and not alot of luck with this one, was very touchy on the controls expecially for a newbie, be careful on that choice....

Near that price you would do alot better with example already mentioned Super Cub, its around $179 range but the difference in handling is like night and day, its a winner, solid flyer, intrim with hands off the stick it rightens itself, one of the top trainers you'll find and the positive threads are all true, I eventually went into night flight with mine, well over 200 flights and then some...The Multiplex Easy Star also great if your into gliders, really enjoyed mine....I would personally suggest those two....

Defintely get a simulator, even the lower FMS tho not a top choice will leave $$ for the plane..here's two sites on my suggestions :

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Hobb...FQmbnAod0X0bqQ

Note is also a lipo battery version $10 bucks more, I flew both, won't go wrong either way, 1/2 throttle 17 minutes of pure fun

Cheaper FMS Simulator with control box $25

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSJR9

Have Fun ....
Old 10-23-2009, 07:52 AM
speedy72vega

The E-flite Apprentice is also a good beginner choice. It comes in an RTF version with a Spektrum DX5e 2.4ghz radio too, for under $300.00.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 PM
andrew76

thanlks for you info i may get the fms is a good price i just want to see how it looks
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 PM
speedy72vega

ORIGINAL: andrew76

thanlks for you info i may get the fms is a good price i just want to see how it looks
You might also look into the FS one sim. After you do all of the online updates, it's quite good for the price, about $99.00. It has heli's as well as planes, I love mine.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:45 AM
phillipmorris

All these simulators are better, but note the FMS has trainers, 4 channels planes, even jets and yep heli's as well, but the others match some of the models out there, just note the FMS is Free, or only $25 with control box, even did the heli practice with mine, helped as well...all of these will certainly get your started......

I've flown loads of models, my skill is todate solid on the Super Cub as do touch and goes even Night Flights, Radian Glider, and lately the Hanger 9 T34 Mentor, pricy but with the DX6I and flys fantastic, low wing warbird, but just over trainer ability with droops and flaps, this one lands better than any warbird todate, nearly as easy as the Cub, but get a pilot as too much investment on the Mentor to lose on the maiden, its however my top plane at the moment...Have Fun !! .. BEST ....

Note the Mentor lands about as well as any plane I've flown, I do mainly grass lanings and its big enough to land right side up instead of nosing down as my others but on a windless day managed a silky smooth pavement landing on a rather short runway, even deadsticks in with zero throttle, unbelieveable ship....with its beginner progressive settings, the flaps and droops slow it down, you can flare too early, but this one keeps flying, it won't drop a wing like the other ships, comes in like an airliner, I'm impressed !! But again have warbird experience or get a pilot before trying this one....
Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
andrew76

i'm going to get the fms i love the price and will work with my computer don't need all that memory and vidio something is it better than the e-flyte one and thanks for all your help you guy have been great on all the info
Old 10-24-2009, 06:43 PM
andrew76

will the fms work with windows xp or just 2000 and 98
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 AM
twoslick2

I have fms sim on my computer with xp and it works fine. Does anybody know where to find a usb cable that will work with my DX6i radio?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:22 PM
andrew76

thanks i thinking of geting the e-sky simulater
Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can never go wrong with going to the sim first.

The goal is to establish hand/eye coordination with the control box. You MUST use a control box that is laid out like an RC radio. Using a key board or a gamestick for control is worthless.

Focus on three skills.

Take-off. - Select a plane that will be as close as possible to what your first plane will be. Flying Jets may be cools but it won't help you prepare for that first trainer. IF you are going to fly a HobbyZone Super Cub, the use that or a similar 3 channel plane in the simulator. 3D is fun on the sim but in the real world, planes break.

2) Fly plane from the ground. Don't use the pilots view, the chase plane view or the "god's eye" view. Fun but not helpful.

3) Once you get off the ground in a sim you quickly loose orientation as you can't see the ground and the trees and the like, as you can at the field. So flying around can be fun but I don't think it will help you prepare for the trainer.

4) Work on your landings. This is where most planes get broken. So my suggestion is, until you can take off, circle the field a cuple of times and land successfully, every time, don't work on anything else. Do this with no wind, no trees, etc. Then crank up the wind and gusts and put in some trees and buildings and such.

After that, it is time to go to the field and fly your model. Work on exactly the same routine. Take-off, circle the field twice and land.

Other tips that will help you:

> Six Keys to Success
> http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

> Throwing up will make you sick
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3708346

> Plane Locators
> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6545319/tm.htm

> Getting planes out of trees
> http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=239

> Why Join a Club?
> http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=238

> Workshop Ventilation
> http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=235

> Hat, Sunglasses, what else?
> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5008712

Learning to Fly Toward Yourself
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbgl...howentry&id=22

STAYING UP WIND
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbgl...howentry&id=23

Trimming your Plane
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbgl...howentry&id=24

I hope you find these useful.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
andrew76

thanks for the great info i just need to see what simulater to get i want to get one that will work on a laptop
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
[email protected]

i wish read this first ...........
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
perttime

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: aeajr

The goal is to establish hand/eye coordination with the control box. You MUST use a control box that is laid out like an RC radio. Using a key board or a gamestick for control is worthless.
Not quite worthless.

Using FMS with just the keyboard definitely helped me with orientation.

The way my fingers move on the keyboard is different from the way they move on the sticks, but the direction of movement is still the same.