Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

What motor, esc, and batt to use???

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

What motor, esc, and batt to use???

Old 10-29-2009, 03:50 PM
fourtax69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What motor, esc, and batt to use???

Hey guys I'm new to the electric world and I had a few questions. I've been flying nitro planes for about 10 years now and I've had a few small foamies but I just bought a large scale Giles 202 and I would like to put an electric setup in it. I found a fewparts and just wanted toseeifI was on the righttrack. The specs are as follows Wing Span 75.9", length 70.4", weight 10.5-11.5 lbs, recommends a 1.08-1.60 glow/40-50cc gas engine. I've looked at a few of the hacker and AXI motors and found the AXI5325/20 swinging a 20X10 prop, or AXI5330/18 with 20X8. I've been looking at the Jeti Advance Pro 90 as my esc, but I have no idea whatBEC to get or even if I need one.Also I'm really confused on battery selection, the 5325 says 8s and the 5330 says 10s but what volts andoutput should I get for a 8-15 minute flight@ 75% rpm. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys....
Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: What motor, esc, and batt to use???

> EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT
> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

What kind of performance are you looking for? Sport aerobatics? Unlimited pattern? 3D?

If I use the AXI motor selector found here:
http://www.modelmotors.cz/axisetuphobby-lobby/

I put in 190 oz all up and Aerobatic performance I get a 5320/34 recommendation on a 19x10 prop. They suggest a 77 amp or higher ESC using a 10S pack. But the Hobby-Lobby site does not give me much info on the motor so I don't know the specs.

If I use a general modeling tool, like WebOCalc, it will not give me a specific brand but it will give me general specs to look for.

I am going to assume you are looking to fly this as a Pattern plane.

Here are general specs:

Assuming a 10S pack

10S pack pushing 66 amps ( ESC must be 70 amps or greater and able to handle a 10S pack)
300 kV, 2500 watt outrunner brushless motor
Using a 16X12 prop should yield about 230 oz of thrust on an 180 ounce planes - Unilmited uplines, or perhaps 3D
Pitch speed, about 91 mph and about a 27 mph stall speed
Assuming 800 inches of wing area you would have

A 6000 mah 15 C or higher rated pack pack would give you about 6-7 minutes of flight at 3/4 throttle, so multiply accordingly to come up with the right size pack.

If you wanted to use an 8S pack

On an 8S pack pushing 80 amps
375 kV 2500 watt outrunner
using a 16X12 prop it should yield about 220 oz of thrust
Pitch speed about 90 mph - stall speed about 27 mph

Using 6000 mah 20C or higher rated pack you would get about 4-5 minutes of flight, so multiply accordingly for how much battery capacity and duration you want.

There are all kinds of ways to approach this. The AXI calculator probably gives a good recommendation but I don't know what the thrust and pitch speeds would be for that set-up.

WebOCalc
http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw..._imperial.html

Read the e-book at the first link to understand it all.