Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Fighterbird

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 12:02 AM
1fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fighterbird

(post # 1)

A few days ago I read a post by someone (can't find it now) that suggested to get rid of the "wasted" prop that comes with this plane and buy a 5X5 carbon fibre prop. I was told by my LHS they did not carry them but they had a composite prop. So I got it and the adapter and it does not hardly even push the plane on the ground!

Anybody have advice on a replacement prop for this plane that is markedly better than the original?
Old 07-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fighterbird

You may have missed some other modifications needed to maximize performance with a 5x5 prop. IIRC, the Fighterbird has a 6-cell battery pack, and the prop is 6" or 7" in diameter. By going to the 5x5 prop, you effectively reduced your power output signifigantly.

There are two things you can do to increase power in an electric:
1. Increase the propeller load by increasing the diameter and/or pitch of the prop.
2. Increase the cell count.

There is one mitigating factor: physics. An electric power system can only take so much stress, so many Volts, so many Amps, before it starts losing efficiency and/or sustaining damage. Increasing propeller sizes and/or cell counts willy-nilly may actually decrease the performance of the plane, and destroy the motor, speed control, battery, or all three.

With the stock pack, you can safely increase the propeller size to 6" or 7". Measure the diameter of the original propeller, and use that as a starting point. An APC 6x4 Thin Electric propeller would be a good starting point. This plane needs lots of slow thrust because it's draggy.