RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Longer Slow Stick Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/1914286-longer-slow-stick-flight.html)

EvolPenguin 06-18-2004 01:05 PM

Longer Slow Stick Flight

I want longer slow stick flight time once I get mine in the air etc. What kind of batteries should I use. I heard good things about Lipos, but would I have to get a new charger and speed controller. What would be the maximum power battery you could use with the gearbox/engine on it? I think the higher mah it is, the longer duration, but what is the maximum voltage? The ICS-300 is the speed controller. Thanks for any help. Right now, I'm getting a 8.4v 730 mah NiMh battery. That won't burn the motor will it? I heard, 2 cell LiPos are good, because they have a 7.2v so don't burn the esc/engine but they are light and can have a lot of mah for their weight.

Also, any sites about where to get anything you suggest would be appreciated.

Al

Matt Kirsch 06-21-2004 08:17 AM

RE: Longer Slow Stick Flight

First, to dispel a myth: The only reason you would "need" a different controller with LiPolys is due to the very strict low cutoff voltage of 3.0 Volts per cell (6.0 Volts on a 2-cell LiPoly pack). There is nothing special about the electricity that comes out of LiPoly batteries that is somehow incompatible with the existing equipment. You can compensate for lack of a programmable cutoff voltage with a simple $5 voltmeter and some self-restraint. Using your old battery mAh rating, and how long the plane flies on it as a gauge, you can judge just about how long you can fly your Slow Stick on LiPolys. Figure about half of that, and land. Check the battery voltage. It probably won't be anywhere near 6.0 Volts. If it is, you're overloading the battery, and must do something about it ASAP, or risk destroying the battery. Everyhing ok? Fly for about half of the remaining time, land and check voltage again. Keep flying for about half the remaining time, until you get down to about 2-minute increments. Keep checking the voltage each time. When it gets down around 6.25-6.5 Volts, you're probably down to 6.0 Volts when the motor is running. Time to recharge. Fly about 90% of the total time you flew during this test in your normal flights, and you'll be fine.

The 730mAh pack, once broken in, will fly you for at least 10 minutes. Closer to 15 if you don't horse it much.

EvolPenguin 06-21-2004 09:56 AM

Thank you :D

Al

Time Pilot 06-21-2004 03:48 PM

But Matt,

It is so hard to have self restraint when you're having so much fun!

A programmable ESC helps save the batteries for those of us who think, "Ah, just ONE more go around...." It saves us from the dreaded 'Idiot Error." (Saves us from ourselves) ;)

EvolPenguin 06-22-2004 09:17 AM

I think I will just leave complicated batteries until later ;). I'll stick with the 8.4v 730 mah that comes with it, and maybe get myself another one. Thanks for your help though.

Al

connolly 06-25-2004 01:14 PM

You said you were going to stick with the 8.4v 730 mah that comes with it. So the Slow Stick comes with a battery?

SNoWJackal 06-25-2004 09:58 PM

you should check out www.cheapbatterypacks.com they have all kinds of pack and good prices too. I would go with a 7-8 cell Kan 1050 or CBP 1050 if there in stock. If you go to the planes section they even have notes as to witch pack would be good replacements or upgrades for the SS.

-SNoWJackal

EvolPenguin 06-26-2004 10:11 AM

"You said you were going to stick with the 8.4v 730 mah that comes with it. So the Slow Stick comes with a battery?"

No, it comes with the set i'm getting from gwsexperts.com . Thanks everybody!

Alex

jatoo 06-28-2004 02:44 AM

I would go for Li-Pos. There's nothing complicated about them. Just like any other battery, but they're lighter, smaller, don't get hot, and have a higher capacity. If you just get Li-Pos the same voltage as the battery your using already, that will be the safest way to go. And you will have MUCH longer flight times. I have 7.4v 1600mAh Li-Pos in my Tiger Moth and I have never worn them out in one flight. You will need a Li-Po charger though. It cost me $60 for the charger and $60 for the battery (7.4v 1600mAh). (By the way thats in Australian dollars, $120 Australian is about $80 American). This isn't exactly cheap but well worth it (45 min flight times :D )