RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   *Newbie, need foamy & Extras* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/3188065-%2Anewbie-need-foamy-extras%2A.html)

Zippi 07-21-2005 04:40 PM

*Newbie, need foamy & Extras*

I've been flying gas planes for years and I think I'm ready to get a foamy and fly a little at home. I want something that has unlimited vertical but easy on the wallet. I know nothing about the electric planes so keep that in mind. Can someone give me a URL for a site that has some good combos or give me a list of what I might need as far as plane, motor, ESC, charger,batteries, etc. Thanks guys.

Matt Kirsch 07-25-2005 08:38 AM

RE: *Newbie, need foamy & Extras*

Lots 'o places out there:

www.foamyfactory.com
www.fancyfoam.com
www.hobby-lobby.com

In a nutshell, you'll need appropriately-sized motor, battery, speed control, servos, and receiver for whatever plane you choose.

MannyEdge 07-27-2005 11:50 AM

Also, look at the GP Flatouts. They are pretty cool. I wanted to fly a plane in my yard instead of going to the airfield and flying my gas planes. But, do NOT use the BL-8 speed control with the rimfire. Use a speed control with more amps. I am new to the electric side so I found out the hard way about the BL-8. GP recommends it, but I and other people are finding out it does not work well with the rimfire. The rimfire wants a constant draw of 11 amps (15 amps surge) and the BL-8 can only deliver 8 amps (9amps surge). Go with the 12 amps that GP is coming out soon or with Castle creation or E-flite or Jeti. Castle creation and Jeti are pretty pricy, but E-flite seems reasonable.

michpittsman 07-27-2005 12:12 PM

Don't forget 3dfoamy.com as a supplier. I like Eflite ESC's. You will need a strong motor and battery and an esc that can handle them for unlimited vertical-usually not inexpensive....Jim

Zippi 07-27-2005 08:34 PM

Thanks guys. I looking at the combos they have at Hobby Lobby.

InsaneFoamie 07-27-2005 09:00 PM

www.InsaneFoamies.com has nice combos with 2-1 power ratio.

RCDuggiedug 07-31-2005 03:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Thanks guys. I looking at the combos they have at Hobby Lobby.
I have the Esskay 400XT (on sale for under $30) brushless motor from Hobby Lobby. I was a little afraid of this motor because of the price until I tried it. Mine was a little loud until it ran some but now, It's quiet. I really like it.

I didn't get the speed control from them. I got a Castle Creations Phoenix 10.

For a cheap plane the Hobby Lobby yak seems nice. I don't have one but I've seen some good things about it on the forums and the price is great.

I have flown a buddy's Edge 540 Shock Flyer from Hobby Lobby with the recomended accessories. It hovers easy at less than half throttle and fly's great. It is durable also.

Let us know what you get and how you like it.

RCDuggiedug

RCDuggiedug 07-31-2005 03:40 AM

One other thing. Lithium-poly is really the best way to go for batteries. You need a special charger and take extra care with lithium as they can and have started fires. There is much about the care of lithium cells on the forums.

RCDuggiedug