RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Need help with setup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/474009-need-help-setup.html)

handysmurf 01-11-2003 08:52 AM

Need help with setup

Hi all,

I've messed with glow planes for a while and just wanted something new to try out. I bought a great plane Fundango(think thats what its called), and puting a 400 motor on it. I am kinda lost as to the battery and speed control combo and hope you could help me out.

I want to get Pico flight pack from horizon. cost about $80 and comes with a speed control, two micro servo, battery and a 4 channel reciever for my JR radio. The batterry is 7.2v/150mah. Would this be enought power for a 400 motor or the should i get the 9.6v/700mah like the instruction sugest? If I get the 9.6v would the speed control be able to handle the 8 cell(9.6v) or would it only be able to handle the 6 cell(7.2v) that came with it. I really do not know enought about park flyer yet to figure out what works with what. Generally would a speed control work with just about any battery? Thanks

handysmurf 01-12-2003 05:24 AM

Need help with setup

Oh well thanks for the help... I'll just call tech support

handysmurf 01-13-2003 05:12 AM

Need help with setup

Thanks for the help but hitec servo and rx doesn't come with a speed control for 25 dollars more then the pico system at horizon. Its also pretty heavy at .81 oz for a micro.

Tippie 01-13-2003 01:38 PM

Need help with setup

First - a 150mah battery will not cut it. You will need at least the 700mah battery for any flight time.

Not personnally familiar with the Fundango. Ah, checked the Tower Hobbies catalog says you need a 20amp ESC with BEC, a 9.6Volt 400 motor and an 8 cell battery with a minimum of 600mah to a max of 1400mah capacity.

Lots of speed control choices and lots of battery choices.

I suggest that since you are in Beaumont you contact the people in Willis, TX. Not all that far away from you. The hobby dealer there is New Creations. They are an ALL ELECTRIC ONLY rc dealer and have more experience and knowledge than I do. I have purchased from them and they are very helpful.

web site: www.newcreations-rc.com
They have a very large selection and a good catalog.

An last, have a little patience on answers to your thread. Give it a couple days and if that doesn't get results repost it.

handysmurf 01-14-2003 05:12 AM

Need help with setup

Tippie Thanks for the help. 20amp? big jump from 2 amp... will the 2 amps give out smoke signal lol

Tippie 01-14-2003 01:54 PM

Need help with setup

After you throttle up just look inside the airplane and locate the black crispy thing and replace it with a 20amp one.

Actually, don't know what would happen physically, just be assured it won't work any more.

A speed 400 motor at full throttle will push the limit of a 10amp esc when it is under load so give it consideration as to the capacity of the esc.

20amp may be a little more than is needed for a speed 400 motor but you haven't wasted any money by being safe. I buy 30 amp escs so I can use them for bigger airplanes and bigger motors. I haven't bought any brushless motors yet, but when I do I will probably need to move up to at least a 50amp esc.

I'm not smart enough to live on the edge so I buy a little more than is needed, for a safety factor.

hoppyfl 01-18-2003 06:52 PM

Need help with setup

That battery and ESC will NOT fly your plane. ESC will SMOKE.
Check out HE1100 2/3A cells and new 5/4AA 900 mah batteries. Both are capable of giving you more than adequate power. Both are NiMH packs.

Since you are new to electrics, remember that batteries from different companies, even tho they are the same capacity, may be completely different. Some aren't worth a hoot. Check to see what others have been flying and are happy with.

hoppy