RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Parkzone J-3 Cub? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/5249539-parkzone-j-3-cub.html)

1970Ranger 01-11-2007 05:44 PM

Parkzone J-3 Cub?

I would like to get into flying. I work at a hobby shop so I can pretty much get anything ordered I want, but this J-3 Cub is sitting on the shelves at the store and I really am sold on it. I've flown a Hobbyzone firebird type airplane once before (didn't crash) and play realflight simulator regularly at work during breaks. I know a simulator isn't going to substitute for real flying, but I've flown the trainers and went on to bigger scale planes (jets, B-17, P-51, etc.) and have crashed very few times and landed quite well. An experienced pilot taught me how to land with a killed engine on the simulator. I feel that 3 channels is about my limit for now. The Hobbico Superstar electric trainer is 4 channel and I'm not sure I want to jump in to a wooden ariplane just yet. Do you think the J-3 cub would be too much for an R/C car guy to handle? I'm hooked on the yellow piper paint scheme and scale looks, and I don't want a two-channel plane that I will outgrow in a short time.

Should I buy it, and give it a shot?? I work with some very good R/C pilots (one of them flies real planes) so getting help is not an issue.
Or am I getting in way over my head if I try to learn on that plane?[sm=drowning.gif]

Oh yeah, if and when i am proficient at flying do you think this plane would be too fast for a gymnasium?

scoooper 01-11-2007 08:07 PM

RE: Parkzone J-3 Cub?

1 Attachment(s)
1970ranger::: you can handle her, just take your time an wait for a WINDLESS day an a BIG field an have a ball, you bub, scoooper

Leo L 01-12-2007 12:56 PM

The J3 is a nice plane, but has some deficiencies that need correction before it becomes a decent flyer. The manufacturer clearly indicates that it is intended for intermediate flyers who already have basic flying knowledge. They say this for good reason: the J3 responds quickly, but flies fairly slowly and can easily be made to stall. Since you have experienced flyers available to you, you can probably do OK with it, but why not get the SuperCub? The SuperCub is the same price as the J3, but it has been designed to eliminate all of the faults of the J3. It has better performance right out of the box than the J3 does after its fully modified. The SuperCub is easier to fly, yet has better performance and is better resistant to crash damage. As Backyard Flyer magazine said in a recent article, the SuperCub is "the perfect beginner plane".

chief illini 01-12-2007 02:50 PM

I agree with Leo, althought the J-3 is a fine intermediate airplane, the Super Cub is the right airplane for you. Trust me, you will love it!

Chief

scoooper 01-12-2007 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1970Ranger:: Is it to late for me to change my vote? Super cubs the better choice though, my bad, ya'lls bub, scoooper

saucerguy 02-09-2007 08:50 AM

Place the J3 into file 13 and get something else, anything else, including a harbor freight bird. If you get the cub, I have parts to sell "unload" on you, still in their original packaging, hehe.

I had it, flew it, retrofitted it, wrecked it every other flight, it's junk..............

Gary Hoorn 02-09-2007 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: saucerguy

Place the J3 into file 13 and get something else, anything else, including a harbor freight bird. If you get the cub, I have parts to sell "unload" on you, still in their original packaging, hehe.

I had it, flew it, retrofitted it, wrecked it every other flight, it's junk..............
A Club member has been flying his Parkzone Cub for about 2 years now with great success. He learned to fly with it.
Gary

Leo L 02-09-2007 03:25 PM

I have been flying my Cub for 18 months and it is still one of my favorites. But if I was buying a beginner/intermediate plane right now, I would get, without any doubt, the SuperCub!

ponchoyo 02-10-2007 10:58 AM

hey 1970 ranger. i also had the same problem like yours when i didn't even have rc exp. I was sort of lucky. Heres my short story. I have flown cheap little 2 ch airplanes but they were very limiting. So then i bought a 4 ch zero, and it flys great. So now i thnk im really good at flying rc eletric planes. Now i wana get into gas rc planes or turbine planes.

Best luck with your flying, 1970!

RosscoW 02-11-2007 12:03 AM

I'm teaching my son to fly with the Hobby-zone J3 Cub. It is slightly bigger (39" wing span) and is proving ideal for a raw beginner.

CGB 02-19-2007 10:26 PM

I bought a Parkzone J3 Cub this Fall and I was very impressed with how well it flew. I am just re-learning to fly rc planes after about a 25 year lapse. I never really knew how to fly them well before so I am pretty much starting from scratch.
It flew straight and steady right out of the box and although I have crashed it a time or two, the problem was always something that I did, not the plane. I'm pleased with mine. I got some confidence flying the Cub and then I bought a Hobbico Upstar powered glider. I've had some successful flights with the Upstar but the Cub is easier to fly and more relaxing.