RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Parkzone Corsair or T-28 D? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/9388027-parkzone-corsair-t-28-d.html)

oldnnp 01-05-2010 12:03 AM

Parkzone Corsair or T-28 D?

I have been flying a Super Cub LP for about 4 months flying 3-4 times per week. Feel very comfortable flying even in 15 mph wind. Landing well. So what do I buy for my second plane, Corsair or t-28?

Thanks for the help,
Oliver

tessmar 01-05-2010 12:27 AM

RE: Parkzone Corsair or T-28 D?

While there are a few of the Corsairs many more have the T28(I assume you mean the foam ones similar to the T28). I haven't bought one yet but have flown a couple and they are just plain wonderful. They handle more breeze than you would expect and are just a dream to fly. The folks that have both the Corsair and the T28 tell me the Corsair does not fly as well, and certainly doesn't land as well.

hugger-4641 01-05-2010 06:29 PM

I've had both the Parkzone Corsair and T-28. I still have a couple T-28's and fly them regularly. I traded off the Corsair. Corsair is not a bad plane at all, but the T-28 is definitely easier to see, a little tougher, a little more stable, and a little easier to land.;)

Leo L 01-12-2010 01:23 PM

First, I presume that you are talking about the HobbyZone SuperCub and the ParkZone Corsair and T-28.

The answer depends on whether you will be handlaunching/bellyflopping or using the landing gear for take-offs and landings. In the air, the two planes are very similar. The T-28 is a little more stable, can be flown a little slower, and loops better. The Corsair needs to be flown a little faster and is better at rolls. Take-offs and landings are the big difference. The T-28 is almost as easy as the SuperCub on pavement, dirt or short grass. It takes off straight as an arrow and lands with no problems as long as you lightly flare the landing to keep the front wheel from taking the brunt of the impact. The Corsair pulls hard to the left on take-off. On landing, the Corsair requires quite a bit more speed. It lands decently on pavement or smooth dirt. On rough dirt or grass it has a tendency to nose-over. You can learn to make decent landings in rough dirt or short grass, but it requires a lot more effort, concentration and experience. Due to its coloring, the Corsair is more likely to get "lost" in the background of trees.

I would suggest the T-28 for your next plane. Looking down the road to your third, the Corsair is a fine choice, but the PZ "Gunfighter" P-51 is even better. The P-51 doesn't come with landing gear, but adding landing gear is a very simple modification. The P-51 with landing gear takes off and lands very similarly to the Corsair, but is a lot more fun to fly once its airborne.

oldnnp 01-12-2010 02:35 PM

Thank you for all of your advice. I ordered a T-28D today. Will let you know how it goes. Super Cub LP has been a whole lot of fun. The T-28 should be even more.

Oliver

wpotter6 01-22-2010 12:07 AM

You did the right thing getting the T-28. The Corsair is more difficult to takeoff and land, especially in crosswinds with the gear on. I fly at a club with an east-west paved runway and a wind that is predominately from the south. You need a lot of practice cross controlling the aileron and rudder to make those landings nice and the T-28 is much more forgiving. The nose wheel also help a lot of crosswind takeoffs. The Corsair takes a lot of right rudder on takeoff to counteract the torque, but the T-28 tracks much straighter on the runway.

phillipmorris 01-22-2010 12:42 AM

Excellent info, have flown both, one easy way is to hand launch the Corsair if you have issues with the land take off, in the air they both are easy flyers especially if you've had any aileron experience..I do have issues on landings tho Super Cub is a piece of cake, the Trojan will do well also but my poor handling eventually can damage the nose wheel, just me here, been flying the Corsair more lately without wheels when there is powdered snow makes an easy landing...tho think your making the right choice on the T28, but both are really beautiful ships to fly...BEST ..<>...

Have only one other plane other than the Super Cub with exceptional landings and its the T34 Mentor, is comes in like a slow airliner with droops, and flaps, simply unbelieveable, but more investment and a balsa model, large wheels I frequently land on the grass in the summer...sorry for the additional note as different plane here, but its also a honey, dozens of flights and yet to deck the T34 in, as you can flare several times even too early and still come in on the money, oh my ! ...BEST..<>..

heavy metal thunder 01-22-2010 03:13 PM

T-28 is the better choice between the two. I've flown both the T-28 and Corsair in their stock form. The Corsair really shines if it had a better motor. The T-28 is a good choice for learning to land from both directions. I fly from many different sites, some land from the right, some from the left. I've even done down wind touch and go's, a bit of racing, and the most fun formation flying with my T-28. One problem with the T-28 is that it lands too easy and you can get complacent and get in trouble if you get a fast high wing loaded plane. I have been getting better performance and time using my 2250 25c 3s batteries over the stock battery.

oldnnp 01-22-2010 04:06 PM

I habe flown my T-28D about 40 times and I am hooked. I too have upgraded to the 2200 lipo's and get 15 miute flight times with very little throttle management. Any advice on upgrading the motor mount? I have had a couple of bounced landings and the mount cracked.

Thanks for all of your advice, you were all right on.

Oliver

hugger-4641 01-22-2010 09:53 PM

If you land hard, some thing has to give! If the motor mount doesn't break, the fire wall and nose gear mount will! The newer parkzone replacement motor mounts are a little beefier than the old ones. I made aluminum motor mounts for my t-28's and you can buy them on e-bay for about $20 (just search "parkzone", or "e-flite"). But I wouldn't go aluminum until you get consistent with your landings!

heres those mounts on e-bay
[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/Parkzone-T-28-F4U-Corsair-CNC-Aluminum-Motor-Mount_W0QQitemZ120490278603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0dc7becb[/link]