Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

E Flite AT-6 Texan Convert to GLOW!

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

E Flite AT-6 Texan Convert to GLOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E Flite AT-6 Texan Convert to GLOW!

Bluesail, it is good to have you on board, there are only a few of us that would rather fly glow. We post our progress with the hope others will like what we are doing and do it too!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
blusail68

dear Scale dail,your wellcome makes me very Happy! here in Italy we've a lot of forums but no one like yours,so technical with pictures and deep discussions. As I told,here ,none specific for glow discussions and convertions but only about this new "electric fashion".Soon I'll post a movie and the pictures about my lancair glow in order to share this experience.meantime I'm going to search the Texan in some shop (until now I see it's available only outside Italy), and,because can't stay frozen, working to another convertion.In fact I've got a GEEBEE Y green model (Maxford USA) on the workbench,where I'm thinking to use an OS 15 LA.I'm doubting the structure can resist for something more powerful......so I'm afraid to be very close to the limits.I really hope to make the right choice,because the model is very nice (do you know it?) and should be a pity to destroy it...anyway, I'll post the project step by step for all the interested and curious friends here.thanks again and kind things to you!blusailah,... because we are very close, Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 AM
apwachholz

@bluesail - welcome to the family of converting electric to glow! I'm a fan of any thing that flies; fixed wing or other. If it's about aviation or looks like it's about aviation, I'm a happy person. Post some images of your aircraft when you can since it would be nice to see what others are working on.

@anyoneElseWhoMightBeInterested -Who's got the coolest Christmas gift this 2011 year? This guy! Well, it might not be 'the' coolest gift but, it was an early gift from the in-laws and one that I have been wanting for a very long time(see attached kitchen scale image). And now with the E-flite Texan conversion to glow happening, this is perfect to ensure that I'm keeping my weights accurate. Not to mention how well it will work with every single project I'll ever do. Yeah.... this man's happy.

Happy Holidays and I'll post updates soon (since I'm working on it this holiday vacation).

_andrew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17252.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1704008  
Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 AM
scale dail

Cool! Yes that helps to know what is going in to our models. With my models, I watch the weight rise and rise with a small digital scale that we also use to weigh our 3 Parrots.
I do not mind my T-6 getting a little heavier, because I am patterning after my demised Jemco AT-6 that weighed just over 6 pounds. Still my "G Flite" AT-6 will be much less than that.

Name:	Us54446.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1704034  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a digital postal scale that does the same thing. Very handy for mail too.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
apwachholz

> Panel Lines & Rudder
After much debate I decided to remove the covering from the rudder and sheet it with 1/32 balsa. Why? My covering job wasn't too hot plus, I figured the less covering, the less oportunity for it to sag over time and/or sag in high heat.I had to do a little work on the rudder structure but, within two hours it was completed and ready to paint.
With the panel guidelines completed I started to lay down the 1/32 vinyl pin striping (purchased at my hobby shop) and so far, so good. I initially was going to rough up the surface of the covering before laying down the stripes but, realized that I'll need a clean smooth surface for the vinyl to adhere to. It looks a little rough but, once you get a coat or two of paint on it, the vinyl hard edging will go away, or so I hope.
Now I need to finish up the rest of the fuselage and then I'm on to the wings and then rivets.

Name:	Ig12811.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1706261  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 PM
scale dail

Thats a pretty fancy picture! Its looking good.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
apwachholz

[ Erased my own post... ]
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
apwachholz

> Rivets On
Ohkay… I couldn't help it but try out a sample panel towards the front of the fuselage with the push pin rivets. While the attached image seems quite out of proportion (especially the close up), in person it looks really good and the sizing of the rivets is perfect for the small / fun scale.

Name:	Lj22877.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1706731  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 PM
scale dail

I finally made some progress on mine too. Since I am using such a large engine (OS .40FP) I had to recess back behind the firewall about an inch to keep it from sticking out the front of the cowl. My firewall is very strong now with a layer of fiberglass.

Name:	Vt56015.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1707947  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
apwachholz

@scail dail
Not only will you get a strong firewall for the engine, you'll also get unprecedented protection from any oils and what not. Nice job. That's one detriment to smaller scale glow powered airplanes - you have to be careful about fuel getting in the wrong places where it could weaken the structure over time. Then again, I suppose that's nothing new if you talk to any of the long time modelers in our hobby. :-)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM
scale dail

What a great way to ruin a perfectly good electric ARF! I have my Oil burner on now! I will have to do some cutting and grinding to get the Brisson Pitts style muffler to fit. That will be next.

Name:	Hf97824.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1708934  
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

You guys are making me itch to convert my T-34 to glow, but need to get a motor first.  There is a swap meet this weekend that hopefully I can find one on the cheap.  Thinking of something like an OS 50something 4 stroke for it.  Until I get the powerplant for it, I aint touching it.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
apwachholz

@scale dail
I noticed some fairly 'high end' landing gear in your last few pictures. Care to share in the secret of the build (i.e your installation)? I'm installing electric retracts from E-flite but am curious to find out more about the gear detail that you have done. More installation pics and details of where you're placing the tank would be great....

@acdii
You don't have to have a motor to start (wink/nudge). As long as you know where you're going, eventually you'll get there.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
apwachholz

Question 4 All: Any one have advice where I can find a quality LiPo battery monitor?

Ihave some 2-cell / 3-cell Lipo batteries that I'd love to reuse for my E-flite Texan project as a power supply for both receiver (Rx)and the landing gear. They're super small, light, and pack serious power for what I need (11.1v/1350mAh). I'm not a huge fan of not knowing how much voltage I have left as I fly throughout the day and am looking at the Turnigy 6S Mini Lipo Battery monitor as a solution (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7367). It seems like a solid and cost effective tool. I fly all my existing NiCad packs with the Hobbico VoltWatch battery monitor and it is the only way to fly for me and for safety reasons.

Thoughts on the Turnigy?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
apwachholz

> Addicted to rivets
I have to admit that I'm a little addicted to this part of the project. For as tedious as it may seem the concepts of sitting down quietly and creating rivets from sewing pins (#1), mapping .5 cm rivet locations, and hand installing every rivet, gives a person some much needed downtime from a hectic week (and add to that, I'm in no hurry). And if you're wondering, I'm at 400+ rivets at this time. With the fuselage 3/4 of the way done, I'm now marking pin stripes for the wings and starting the rivets (pic attached of the fuse at various angles).

Name:	Zx72602.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1714641  
Old 01-22-2012, 05:58 PM
apwachholz

> Landing Gear Installation
After some investigation and a rapid trip to the hobby store, I settled on the 10 to 15 sized main electric E-flite landing gear. While the Texan technically is a 25 sized model, with its flying weight between 3.9-4.5 lbs., it lies right in the 10 to 15 sized gear range for weight. I could have gone with the 15-25 size but, A) the 10-15 struts diameter matched the included struts of the E-flite kit (#1) which meant B) I didn't have to bend new strut wires. It also saved me a few bucks and I was able to walk out the door with them (*bonus*).
The electric gear weights in almost double the weight of the kits gear struts. I'm not too worried as its merely 25 grams vs. 39 grams per gear. And with a .25 2-stroke powering this ride, I'm thinking we're good.
After cutting away some space for the electric gear (#2, #3) with a Dremel the fit was snug & comfy. The 2 adjustments to the installation were 1) cutting the kits struts 8mm shorter to fit the electric gear and wheel well and, 2) adding a wheel collar to the inside part of the strut to lift the wheel out enough so as to allow it to spin freely when retracted (#4). It turned out really sweet.
Till next time...

Name:	Bz79249.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1717268  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
apwachholz

5 Feb 2012 - Update

With the major U.S. holidays behind us and the coming spring my hopes were to start hammering on my Texan and make some good progress. That might be delayed as there's yet another move on my horizon. And this one is taking me across the country! My hopes are to continue the build since this is going to be 1 of only 2 planes I'll have for the next few years but, I might be off the thread for a bit. I hope to not be gone long. And as always, I'll be checking in since....well..... I love rc!

@scail dail - how's the progress of your texan coming? it's looking really great!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 AM
scale dail

I have been working on mine when I have the time. I went backwards when I brought it to my club meeting, on the way out I tripped and it got crunched! I have been repairing all the damage from that. I am now back to the point before the fall. Whew! glad that is done. I could see how this thing is built. Very light construction, I feel too light. Good thing I am glassing it!
The kit has two pushrods to drive each elevator. I will tie the elevators together with u shaped wire conector, and use only one pushrod to control the movment. One less control horn sticking out.
Looks like this ARF may be going away soon, parts are getting hard to get.
I had said earlier that I am using old Rhom air retracts with robart's plastic strut covers over my own 5/32 wire landing gear. That original landing gear belongs on a clown plane! Boing Boing! That was the first thing I threw away.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM
scale dail

Slow progress. But, I have both elevators tied together, hinged with Robart hinges, and covered with 21 century fabric.
Moving on to the ailerons.

Name:	Bz78901.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1740418  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
apwachholz

@scale dail
That's looking pretty nice. I wish I had the facilities to rip apart a model the way you are. But, all in good time. Now that I'm settled in Maryland (my new home) I think it's time to open up the shop again. Granted it's packed away but, in a few weeks I'm hoping i'll be ready to get back on the Texan. Hope to be back online soon!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
apwachholz

>> Change of Plans
So, I was rummaging through some North American Harvard pictures and came across the New Zealand Royal Air ForceAT-6 paint scheme and loved it (Plus, after some thought, I think the size of the plane and painting it blue is going to make it harder to see on a nice day.). With the shop is up and running and in between 3 other projects (rc related but not models) we're off and running now on the rest of the build.

Name:	Us52711.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1747118  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:40 PM
apwachholz

>> Wheel Wells
Once I had gotten the retract's installed and working in the wings, I realized that there was a big problem with the open wheel wells. Normally if this was an electric build it wouldn't be a problem however, since I plan on using a glow engine with exhaust pointing directly down, I was going to run into a lot of issues with oil getting into the wheel wells and into the wing.My solution was to take 1/32 balsa sheet and seal off the area into the wing. I then painted a coat of epoxy (thinned down with rubbing alcohol) all inside the wells and the wall to get a good seal. It turned out wheally well. Ok bad joke, I know. Moving on.....

Name:	Ec88785.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1750099  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM
apwachholz

>> Comon! Really, E-flite…
I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed in the latest development of this build. I thought all of my construction was behind me with the wheel wells and along comes the elevator. As I was attempting to heat away some wrinkles on the elevator the covering pulled away from the edges and rendered it useless. Adding insult to injury, the covering never became tight during the process - it just stayed a wrinkled mess. I'm not sure what type of covering was used on this kit but E-flite scored low this time. So, I did what I did with the rudder and sheeted the elevators with 1/32 balsa. Here's hoping we're done with all major construction.
On to the wings!

Name:	Nl29791.jpg
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	1753830  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM
apwachholz

>> Paint Test
I should have thought of this earlier but, I'm not sure what the paint will look like once all is said and done! I've decided to conduct a paint test. I mocked up a panel with three sections covered in either:
  1. Ultracoat (i.e., shrink model covering)
  2. Balsarite (Coverite balsa conditioner; helps things stick to balsa)
  3. Unconditioned balsa
I'm priming with Rust-oleum Painters Touch primer spray paint and then testing 2 Testor's Model Master Paints on top(FS 37038 Black, 1969 72 (990) Hugger Orange). This will befollowed by a coating of Rust-oleum Lacquer clear coat to seal the paint and "fuel proof" the aircraft. Details to come.

Name:	Ca80218.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1758424  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.