Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
 TS Racer – roots from H9 Toledo Special >

TS Racer – roots from H9 Toledo Special

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

TS Racer – roots from H9 Toledo Special

Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TS Racer – roots from H9 Toledo Special

I’m a dumpster diver – done pretty well with stuff I’ve retrieved; like a whisker pole for my 30’ sailboat.

My TS Racer was done from parts I found at our field.

A lot of guys like how my Toledo Special flies on A123-8S w/Scorpion 4025/16 & APCE 14x10 as can be seen in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZ7iCZruhg[/youtube]

Through the course of last summer several got TSs and weren’t quite as lucky – they mostly did them glow, and couldn't believe they weren't as fast. Victor’s commentary can be heard during my Mustang’s flight in the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyW7mmy-K2I[/youtube]

By fall I had retrieved an almost complete TS from the field’s dumpster, sans fuselage!

For the winter I put skis on my TS and changed to power system to a E-Flite Power 60 BL on A123-6S & APCE 14x10.

6S lets me Zip Charge her off to 12V deep cycles in series – no charger needed; just plane TX and hunks and the 2 batteries for a great day of winter flying! Typically 6 flight in about 2 ½ hours.

What to do with the extra parts?

Always thought the TS was a bit short coupled; had a few sheets of balsa in my parts box and held one alongside the TS’s – and the TS Racer was envisioned!

So, I scratched up a fuselage and used the cowl from my kit bashed Ryan 3KR/PT-22 Recruit – which now has a balsa cowl w/jugs.

Put the Scorpion based power set-up in her; and have nearly 20 flight under the belt.

Very pleased with how the TS Racer flies – tracks very well and is a better pattern type flyer than the stock TS. Though it’s not much faster the my TS was with the same set-up.

Here’s some construction shots and photos from last Saturday @ the Electric Fly In Watts Over Owatonna – 8 to 10 flights:

With luck maybe I’ll find some video from the event showing her in flight.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt58436.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1643880  
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Default RE: TS Racer – roots from H9 Toledo Special

I though I could do more than one photo/post?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Default RE: TS Racer – roots from H9 Toledo Special

Guess this is easier??

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18941300&postcount=1]TS Racer[/link]