Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
 Eflite T 34 Mentor E to Glow >

Eflite T 34 Mentor E to Glow

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Eflite T 34 Mentor E to Glow

Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Eflite T 34 Mentor E to Glow

Finally decided to do it, got a Magnum 52 4 stroke, an 8 ounce tank, and started hacking away at it. So far I have a new firewall, lowered the battery tray to become a tank floor. Found a place for the throttle servo and power switch.

The original motor mount had an offset of 1/8 on the top left (facing it) bottom right, to zero on the bottom left and 3/16 top right. Ibuilt up shims to equal the offset on a 1/4 ply block that matches the motor mount for the Magnum and then sanded the angle into it. Ithen located about where tthe center is and adjusted until the shaft was centered on the cowl, then tack glued the blocks to the main firewall, and drilled the holes. Ithen attached it to the bulkhead on the fuse and finished drilling the top two, then set the blind nuts in place. The hardest thing will be the nose gear, it needs to be futher out than the firewall, so I will need to build a box for it, and notch it into the new firewall for strength.

The center of the tank opening is just above the carb, so Iwill need to see if it needs to be adjusted any. Need to flip the carb around so the link is on the outside so it can get past the tank. The back of the spinner sticks a little further out than it should, so Ineed to figure out the diffference and adjust the ply between the FW and piece Imade with the offset, It will either be 1/8 or 3/16, wont know until Iget the main firewall glued down and tight.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97154.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	1777727  
Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Eflite T 34 Mentor E to Glow

For some reason it only lets me upload one pic at a time.

Name:	Zx72152.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	1777728  
Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good!!

Bill S.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 AM

No pics yet, but so far I am on the home stretch.  A new firewall was made, with the correct offsets, still needed to shim the upper left corner of the mount with a washer to get it right on the money. When I put the cowl on, the spinner is a perfect match, centered, and perfectly aligned, just how the original brushless mounted. <div>
</div><div>The down side, I wanted to have a totally concealed engine, but the nose gear said otherwise. To get the nose gear in the proper position, I needed to change the way I mounted the engine, and put it at about 60* to the right of bottom(facing forward). I had to open the cowl up for the rockers to clear.  Now that everything is mounted, have the tank and throttle done, the battery and RX switch is mounted aft of the canopy on the turtle deck, I gave it a balance check. Looks like it needs about 2 Oz in the tail to balance out. The additional plywood of the firewall is what made that happen. </div><div>
</div><div> Of course now that I repaired the cowl with some new glass, I may need more weight in the tail. I beefed up the lower portion with 2 layers of cloth and resin, but that added some weight, more than what was removed for the openings.  </div><div>
</div><div>So final steps to be completed, finish cutting the cowl for the muffler, clean up the repair, and repaint it, patch up the belly behind the cowl, there was damage from a nose wheel strike which worked out to be a good thing, it gave me access to the underside of the battery tray, and a way to reinforce the nose gear platform.  I need to fuel proof it, so the engine comes off one more time. then put the tail  on, balance it and set the throws, break in the engine and she will be ready for a maiden.  Looks like next week will be its first flight. </div><div>
</div><div>After all the research I think the Magnum 52 4s will be the right power plant for this plane. If you get the ARF version, you can install the power 32 motor, running off a 4S pack, which is right about the same power as the Magnum.  The 25 I had in it swung a 12X6 prop, same as the Magnum, so other then the extra weight, it should have the same flight characteristics. </div>
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM

All ready to maiden. Ran up the Magnum today by the book, ran it for at least an hour total full throttle time, with the 10 minute cool downs it calls for. transition from idle to full is sluggish, but thats due to the low end still being on the very rich side. Book said to adjust once the engine is broken in, which should be about 5 flights from now. Idid lean the low end a bit to get a little better transition, doesnt take so long to rev up, but still smokey and rich on throttle up. Top end is roughly 8600 on an APC 12X6 prop that the manual called for.

With the 8 ounce tank it ran over 17 minutes at WOT, temp was 90*. Engine wasn't overly warm either, I was able to touch it soon after I stopped it. May be different when run with the cowl in place, hopefully there is enough exit area to keep it cool. So from preliminary testing on the ground, flight time has doubled from 8 minutes WOT to 17 WOT, so part one of the conversion is a success. Part two will be how well it performs, if it is as good if not better then it will be a complete success.

Vibrations with the Magnum 52 FS are not too different than what it had with the electric motor, just in a lower frequency, the electric would make the plane sing as it reverbrated through frame. The glow just makes it hum, but not as bad as the Kadet does.

For some reason I can only upload one pic at a time.

Name:	Ki18100.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	1782222  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:49 PM

side view

Name:	Bz79514.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1782223  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Another shot

Name:	Rp43623.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1782225  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Hard to tell from this angle that it has a glow motor instead of the electric one it came with.

Name:	Yw67364.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1782226  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 PM

Really annoying to only be able to do one at a time.

Name:	Tr49206.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1782229  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Tanks a lot

Name:	Us53778.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1782231  
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM

And one more for now.

Name:	Db86136.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	1782232  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Forgot to mention, the weight went from 5.5 pounds as purchased with the Gen Ace battery to 6.3 pounds with the Magnum. I needed to add an ounce to the tail for it to balance. 
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Maiden flight last night went well. Need to use flaps to take off, but once the engine is broken in and turns higher revs take offs without flaps should work too.  Its a handful in the air, very sensitive to the controls on all axis.   Lands much better now too.  Overall a successful conversion.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: acdii

Really annoying to only be able to do one at a time.
This is an issue with this forum. I allready made a few different contacts to mods and the generic forum issue forum to try and get this resolved with no luck. At this point I am not sure if this forum even has a moderator. Makes for a really sucky thread and hard to do before and after pics.

Somebody really needs to post this question in this forum with a naked girl picture as an attachment. Atleast then we would know if there was even a moderator watching.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Well I have a few flights on it now, and although the engine runs superb, the plane is not that great a flyer even with the added power.  It is very sensitive to control inputs on ailerons, its one that you really need Expo on to keep it from twitching. Elevator and rudder are OK, flaps finally got balanced, and you must use full flaps on takeoff, but have to zero them once off the ground or it will climb straight up.  It is all over the sky in any sort of wind, and its size makes it difficult to really fly it, you lose orientation when it gets out, and it gets out quickly. .

Landing is the worst part, If there is enough runway, you grease it in with some throttle, but if you have a defined space to put it in and an obstacle to get over first, landings are very rough, and this plane lands nose first too. I smunched the belly again with the nose gear.  My last flight it would up in a tree due to a strong crosswind from behind me that yawed the plane towards me, with the tree just to my right, I tried to power around it, but just didnt have the room.

I pulled the droops off, and need to fix one servo linkage, and reconnect the nose gear wire. I will see how it performs without the droops, and if I still am unimpressed with it, I will convert it back to electric and use the really good running Magnum in something else.

To sum it up, adding more power with the Magnum, didn't make the plane any better performance wise. It flies just about the same, just a little faster.