Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
 how to convert motor to engine size? >

how to convert motor to engine size?

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

how to convert motor to engine size?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:51 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to convert motor to engine size?

Ok, here it goes. I was looking to build a plane from electric plans for glow power. I read some plans that called for a e480 outrunner engine that is a 1020kv. It said that it would run best with a 3 cell lithium battery and a 11x6 apc propeller. [X(] Now I kind of know how this works, 1020 kv means the rpm should be 1020 rpm per volt which means that with the 11.1v 3 cell bat. it should rev to 11,322 rpm. This is a 31 oz 39" wingspan plane and I would normally put a 10 to 15 glow on this size plane, but holy cow, my 46 thunder tiger can only swing a 11x6 at slightly over 12,000 rpm and it pulls around 5-6 lb airplanes. The watt rating on this motor is 250w so that equates to about 1/3 hp. So how does 1/3 hp turn an 11x6 at 11,000 rpm? Can anyone tell me what I am missing here?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Default RE: how to convert motor to engine size?

I can't answer your question technically but here is what I got that works for me.

My MiniStik currently has a WS of  36" and an AUW of 37oz.(just put it on the scale) I fly it with a OS .25LA.  It's a fast plane for it's size and good performance.

I would think a OS .25AX would work fine delivering about 3/4 hp and keep your weight down to a reasonable amount.  Just remember after converting your AUW  will be a bit over what was spec'ed for electric. Use whatever prop is recommended for your motor. Also use metal gear servos as I have already had to replace my nylon gear servos.

I would have loved to put a .25AX on the MiniStik but I used what I had. A .25AX would have made it a rocket ship - the LA motors are just low end motors.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Flybyjohn,
Your calculations are assuming a 100% efficient system. Doesn't work that way in reality. Most outrunners like the one you described are actually not that efficient. In general, about 75% efficieny is about right for outrunner type motors. Gear driven inrunners are better at about 87% efficiency. There are always exceptions to the rules of course but the above figures should get you in the ball park.

This means your 11,300 rpm figure at 75% would be around 8400 which seems about right for that outrunner, prop, and battery you describe.

Mike
Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM

I prefer to utilize constant wattage maximums for a motor, then equate that to horsepower.

Doing that you can go back and forth easily, but you do need adjust for inefficiencies and advertizing hype.

e.g. 1 HP = 745.7 watts.

A powerful .32 glow engine puts out 1 - 1.2 hp, while a weaker LA type engine may only put out about .7-.8 HP.

It is a loose equivalence but it works pretty well for me.